changed my goal weight.. am i crazy?

Options
I changed my goal weight to 115lbs... im 5'4". I am 166 lbs right now... is 115 a crazy dream or is it a realistic goal?????

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Seems rather low. You should make your goals based on your lean body mass and body fat percentage you wish to achieve.
  • cugglybear
    cugglybear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    115lbs would bring you to a BMI of 19.7 - the low end of normal weight. Seems rather low to me.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-4 and set my goal weight to the top end of the "normal range" for my height. I don't think you're crazy for wanting to the see the lower end of the range, your profile pic looks young so it maybe very realistic (I'm 41 so I don't see it in my cards) but I would say if you're worried about it, maybe you should reach for a goal right in the middle and once you reach that then consider making it lower.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would wait until you've lost more weight before you decide. It's hard to know what you'll look like and what you're BF% and muscle mass will be.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible, but I'm wondering why you've picked that weight as your goal. Aiming for a certain number just because it's the lowest weight you could choose in the healthy range, or the lowest you think you could achieve might not be a good idea. You could work really hard to achieve that target, and then look too thin for your liking. I'm 5'3", and at the moment I'm aiming for about 130 lbs - I've worked that out using my estimated body fat percentage now, and what I would like it to be, as well as what I estimate my measurements/clothes size will be at that weight. Why don't you try and estimate your body fat percentage now (using callipers, or the online calculators at fat2fitradio.com) and then work out what body fat percentage you'd like to be, then you can work out what weight to aim for using this tool: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

This website: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages gives a rough idea of what different body fat percentages look like. This one: http://www.mybodygallery.com/ gives an idea of what other people at a certain height and weight look like, although remember that people have different frames and amounts of muscle.

The lowest possible number is not necessarily the best one for you for health, attractiveness or sustainability. Why don't you set higher mini-goals and see what you think when you reach them?
  • shawnakuipery
    shawnakuipery Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the calculators, i will definitely use them.
    My reason for wanting to be that weight is because, i got to 130 lbs before and still felt too big for my liking! but maybe 120 or 125 will suffice. I know that once you get that low, 5 lbs can make a huge difference!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I changed my goal weight to 115lbs... im 5'4". I am 166 lbs right now... is 115 a crazy dream or is it a realistic goal?????

Absolutely realistic and in a healthy BMI range...as long as you're exercising regularly so you can get a sensible amount of calories in and you're not having any unhealthy thoughts. I'm 5'7 and 120 and easily eat over 2000 calories a day (the rdi for women) with exercise. On that note, if you are doing it because you 'feel fat' you are likely to keep feeling fat. If you strength train you could look fantastic at 130.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and currently weigh 139. And i get compliments now about how great I look, i also strength train though so I have some muscle now. I personally couldn't imagine being that small. I also enjoy having my curves and such though. I wouldnt go for number as much as a healthy body. Whether that be muscle or good abs or being able to do 10 pushups, Just don't freak out about the scale so much, it can lead to obsession and doing very UNHEALTHY practices to get to your "healthy" body weight.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think you should set your starting goal to 130 and then reassess once you get there. 130 could look completely different on you now then it did when you were there before.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't think 115 pounds is too low for your height.
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I'm 5 3 and my happy weight is 105-110. So I don't think you sound crazy, just a perfectionist like me. :)
  • Talmquist0222
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my goal weight is 115lbs
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Do u not want any muscle at all? 115 would make u skin and bones. My goal is 145 and i'm 5'1. That would put me at 21% body fat. check your body fat and reevaluate.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Seems low... you'll know when you get to where you want to be. I think it's harms to know until you get there x
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and weigh 116. I've got 16% body fat and am in awesome shape--I do NOT think 115 is unrealistic for your height. Good luck!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I really think you should wait a little while before deciding 115 as your goal weight. Get to 130-135 then reasses your goals. I'm 5'3 119lbs and I think 115 would be way to small for my taste.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    115 is rather low.. but it's not so much about the number. you should be happy at whatever weight you end up. i've been up and down and all-around and i've finally come to realize that happiness, self-respect, and confidence are what matter most!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    depends on ur bone structure and where ur body holds weight the most... some people look okay at 115 and 5'4", some don't. just get to a weight where u are happy with how u look and feel