Eat before working out?

Options
Does it make a difference if you work out on an empty stomach?

I've just finished day 10 of level 1 of the 30 Day Shred - and I've gained inches and lbs. (not a lot, but I'm not losing). I do it first thing in the morning, basically roll out of bed, get dressed and exercise, then shower and get ready for work. I'll eat a little something when I get to work, like a fiber muffin or cereal - that's about 2 hours after I woked out.

Would my stamina or my body's ability to burn calories or build muscle be changed if I ate before I worked out? Does when/what I eat in relation to my work out make a difference?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Depends on what all your'e doing. I do 30 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning and don't do anything but have a couple sips of water. If I was doing any kind of intense strength training I might have a small something to eat but I don't think it will make a huge difference as long as you're eating good all day the day before.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I always try to eat a protein-filled, light snack 60 to 90 minutes before working out. Everybody is different, but I feel that this gives me more stamina and energy. My personal trainer strongly suggests that I do this because it gives my body fuel to run on during the workout.
  • peterparkerdude
    Options
    >Does it make a difference if you work out on an empty stomach?

It probably does make a difference, although whether or not it's beneficial probably depends on who you ask. I know recently there has been a large (and somewhat cult-like) following of people who adamently believe in intermittent fasting. A site I hear being thrown around a lot with realtion to this is Leangains (http://www.leangains.com/).

I haven't really read much into it but I personally do the same thing you do, train immediately in the morning. I strength train on a mostly empty stomach, if I really feel the need to I will drink a glass of milk or kefir. To those that say eating gives them more energy, I find it actually easier to train on an empty stomach, however I will also take a caffeine pill before training which has been shown to reduce perceieved effort, decrease fatigue, and possible increase stamina (and reduces apetite) [http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html].

>I'll eat a little something when I get to work, like a fiber muffin or cereal - that's about 2 hours after I woked out.

I think much more important than what you eat before working out is what you eat soon after. I don't have the sources on this, but I remember reading there is a certain window of time after training that your body more efficiently converts food to muscle. I do know that drinking milk after strength training increases muscle growth though [http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20070808/milk-the-best-muscle-builder].
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you certain you're eating enough each day?
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Are you certain you're eating enough each day?

No, I'm not certain. I eat 1200 plus eat back exercise calories. I was told that I wasn't eating enough and tried the eat more to lose plan, but I had a hard time eating that much, and I started to gain, so I went back to the 1200 last week.

I do eat too many packaged foods. I need to make more of an effort to eat unprocessed, but I just don't always have time to cook.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I do eat too many packaged foods. I need to make more of an effort to eat unprocessed, but I just don't always have time to cook.

Just as a note, you're protein content is really low. Most of the time your fat exceeds your protein intake and the vast majority of your food is carbohydrates. I'm not the world's expert on this but I do know that some people have insulin issues with carbohydrates. You could be setting yourself up for an insulin response loop that's killing your progress.
    Eat Carbohydrate

Increased Blood Sugar

Insulin Secreted

Carbohydrate Stored as Fat

Low Blood Sugar

Hunger (Carbohydrate Cravings?)

Eat Carbohydrate...

Read the information on this page and see if you think this applies to you.

http://inthezonefitness.com/Bodyfat.htm

At the very least try to always eat some protein with your carbs to slow down the digestion process but the preferred scenario would mean eating at least 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass. Eat at least 1200 calories a day and eat back your exercise calories just make sure and enter accurate amounts for calories burned. For instance 500 calories for 30 minutes of cardio just isn't likely. 10 calories a minute burn is pretty intense cardio for most people.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a small meal about an hour before so I have energy to finish the workout. If I eat to close to the workout I feel sick.
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If your eatting alot of processed foods id be watching your sodium because you may eatting way to much sodium and gaining alot of water weight. Id also make sure your drinking enough water to flush everything out. I was drinking 96oz a day but im having so heart problems so my doctor told me to up it to 128oz. Im sure you dont have to go that extreme but for sure drink sy least 64oz. Good luck!
  • njobst
    njobst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You may have heard this a million times, but try eating fewer meals. Snack throughout the day. It REALLY boosts your metabolism. I do it each Monday and work out at night. The next morning, I've always been a pound lighter. Also, it sounds like it would benefit you because there's no need to cook. For example, here is what I'm eating today and it hasn't met 1,200 yet (I'll double up on something): Pretzels, grapes, banana, clementine, carrots, string cheese, laughing cow wedge, yogurt, strawberries, low-fat crackers, granola bar, 100 calorie pack of cookies, deli meat...

All of that took NO preparation. I packed it all in my lunchbag last night and get to eat all day. Give it a try for a week and see what happens.
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the a.m. and I will have a cup of green tea with a little stevia and milk on my way to the gym. Then I eat my breakfast at work - usually this egg casserole thing I make at home. I don't like to eat before I work out. Seems like no matter how much or little I eat, I just feel...weird.

You might've hit on an important point with the processed foods. That sodium can be a diet-killer because you'll just hang on to all that water.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

I do really struggle with getting protein. I'm not a big fan of meat and I cut out most nuts and pb because of the fat... I'll have to become more friendly with eggs or something. I'm a total carb junkie - before I started this, I think 90% of my diet was probably carbs.
  • iWaffle
    Options

I do really struggle with getting protein. I'm not a big fan of meat and I cut out most nuts and pb because of the fat... I'll have to become more friendly with eggs or something. I'm a total carb junkie - before I started this, I think 90% of my diet was probably carbs.

Protein shakes, yogurt (Fat free Greek is awesome), eggs, beans, fish (Experiment with different kinds. They're not all the same), and my favorite grilled chicken. Buy raw chicken and grill it over charcoal. Oven baking just makes it blah tasting. Slice it into smaller pieces after cooking and cook it with different spices and seasoning to vary the taste.

You'll be amazed at how full you feel after a good protein heavy meal compared to carbs. Night and day difference.

EDIT to add beans to the list of foods.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I agree on upping Protein but I also noticed your diary doesnt reflect you eating back enough of your calories......
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options

If you are a total carb junkie you may want to try this for two weeks. Cut out all carbs (including sugars) except vegetables for 2 weeks and substitute with other things like beans and lean meat or eggs (or just beans if you dislike the meat). After this you will stop craving carbs.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When I do my weekly "serious" workout it involves 45 minutes of weights and planks and then 1 to 1 1/2 hours of running. I always have a nice protein breakfast with carbs to fuel the workout. Usually two eggs, plain oatmeal with prunes and blueberries/strawberries. Sometimes I have plain Greek yogurt.

Halfway through the weights part I have Gatorade Prime for more fuel. Then I bring Gatorade with me on the run. I also do a pre-workout Jack 3D thing (I know they are going to discontinue it, but I like it)

I have evolved into this habit of fueling my workouts, especially my runs and I do think it helps my stamina.

-V-
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    More than a few folks have had great success with the method spelled out here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=roadmap

Very basic and easy to understand.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It depends on the time of day for me- working out first thing in the morning I can't eat- I have tried and I literally get sick~ however later in the day (after work work-out) I will eat a protein and a carb before I work out for a little more energy.

We sound so alike in eating alot processed foods and the carb diet ~ that was definitely me- but I have tried to boil eggs on the weekend and have them sitting in the fridge to bring to work or grab when I'm hungry at home~ or a protein bar on the run- nature valley is really yummy!

Good luck on this journey...