Teachers and summer weight...

Options

Replies

• EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, I taught a classroom for kids w/autism for almost 10 yrs. Know exactly what you are talking about! I miss it sometimes. Currently I'm working with kids in inclusion settings. Very different. Much less direct w/kids and more working with the adults. As challenging as they are, I think the kids are easier to work with than the adults!

Yes! I've taught for 9 years, most of it in special ed, but as a classroom teacher, too. I'd moved up to an office/supervisory job and found that some of the adults drove me so crazy that this year I'm moving to a new district so I can go back into the classroom.

My issue is that during the past few school years, I've been so stressed that I physically couldn't eat solid food during the day. My day started at 7:30 and didn't end until 4:00 (and that was just contracted hours with students) and during that time I was usually just running on coffee, diet soda, and the occasional unhealthy snack. Then, when I got home, I was too tired to exercise and waaaaaay over ate at dinner. This summer, I've got myself into a healthy food routine, am maintaining bed and wake up times similar to the school year, and have started exercising with my husband at the time I will normally be home from school. I'm hoping that setting up these routines now will make it easier to carry them over to the school year.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I find during summer vacation I'll do really good for a week and then wind up snacking way too much for 2 or 3 days.
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options
    I've had losing weight as a goal during the summer for a number of years now, but this year is the first one where I wasn't working a full-time summer job as well.
    I found MFP in May, and am down 22 pounds!! :-) It's helping a LOT that my husband is also doing MFP! So even when we went on a family car trip up to Canada with our kids, we were helping each other not go crazy. :-)

It's great to see there are so many of us, and all have similar issues 2 very different schedules from school to summer and back!
    I was just called a couple of days ago by one of my AP's to see if I'd be willing to teach an extra class this year - so that would impact after school.

Feel free to add me! I teach high school World History and AP Human Geography, and sponsor Model UN.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This was so true for me! I wouldn't even notice till I tried to put on my work pants in September after wearing dresses all summer and they would be so tight!

But this summer I have been using the extra time to workout out more and make more healthy meals.

I feel you though!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I teach P.E., so I am so much more active during the school year! I participate with all of my classes, all day long, so I burn a ton of calories! During the summer, I walk 2 miles a day period! Well, I'm also doing a push-up challenge. Gotta show my high-schoolers what a 45 year old woman can do!

I also teach PE and try and join in as much as poss...I also spend ages walking back and fourth to our sportshall, getting equipment, up and downstairs. I'm going to try add more walks into my days off as well as my normal gym routine.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Eat right, drink water, excercise. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
  • SillyPhylly
    Options
    Hi Teachers!!! The past few summers I have gained at least a few pounds over the summer. Do you ever have this problem? I find myself sitting around a lot, even after spending over an hour in the gym, and then I start snacking. During the school year, we are too busy to snack haha...and I find it is easier to plan.

For me, losing weight during the school year is SOOOOO much easier than during the summer. Do you have this problem? This is the first summer in 5 years that I haven't gained weight, but I am not losing very fast either. At this point, I just want to maintain until we go back to work in 3 weeks haha.

With you girl!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I lose weight during the summer, usually. I tend to pack it on during the school year. It's like others have said, I get less exercise and don't eat as well during the school year.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. It all comes down to this: In the school year we're on a strict schedule. That being so, it's easier to track/plan our food/exercise. Summer time all bets are off.

If anyone has a way to help me (and the OP) with this issue, PLEASE give us suggestions!
  • matthej28
    matthej28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I'm a junior in college now, majoring in elementary education, and it's interesting to read how teachers manage their weight in the summer!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yes! in spite of the bike rides, swimming, camping, hiking, gym time, zumba...I work my *kitten* off this summer to NOT gain! lose? forget it, I am just trying to maintain. fact is, all the bar b qs and stuff, I eat more, regardless. and I sleep more, so less time in the day to burn! when i work 11 hours a day, it's way easier to stay on track. 9 weeks of summer feels like 9 weeks of sabotage!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This year I have had this problem ~ I have been trying to lose this summer with no luck. This school year was an extremely stressful one, so I am just trying to recover from that!! :flowerforyou:
  • oligracemom
    oligracemom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have definitely enjoyed too much of the "good life" this summer...too much wine, food and tasty, fruity cocktails!! My pants are all tight ugh. We go back next Wednesday, August 1 for pre-planning so it's back to reality for me! I find it much easier to lose weight when I am on a routine. I need to get back into my skinny clothes so no more "good life" for me for a while!
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am the complete opposite. The summers are wonderful for weight loss. I am stress free and have so much time I tend to work out two or three times a day. For some reason I don't snack as much because I am always doing some project around the house, or I just get out of the house.

During the school year I am so busy with my work schedule and my children's activities I often neglect my own exercise and diet. I am stressed so I crave sweets and often reward my self with something sweet when I make it though a stressful week. I lost 40 pounds two years ago, and I had been on a steady weight loss during the summer and maintaining it through the winter and fall. This past fall and winter I put on 20lbs. I am working hard this summer to shred those pounds and am hoping the changes I've made in my eating will be maintained over the school year. I'm already anxious/worried about how I'm going to fit my exercise in. One positive is that my son will be away in college, so that will be one less child to juggle with school and activities. My daughter is old enough now that I can take her with me to jazzercise or we can walk/jog together in the evenings. I am hoping that she will help keep me on track. The downside is that with it just being the two of us, (and she loves to eat out) that I will fall into the pressure of eating out instead of cooking. I have been teaching her to cook this summer and she seems to enjoy it, so maybe we can alternate on the cooking. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You are like me. I lose during the summer too, but instead of trying to lose a lot during the school year, I focus on maintaining my weight. Lost 20lbs last summer, maintained it all year and now have lost the last 10lbs. Eating out is a tough one for us during the school year (our kids are 8,6, &4). I have found that planning the meals ahead of time and doing as much prep either on sunday nights or the night before, such as chopping veggies, really helps. Crock pot meals can be good too and you can use the leftovers for another meal or even lunch. I find yummy stuff on pinterest or different sites and have my kids pick things they'd like to try. We limit eating out to about once a month.

My b iggest thing is not stress eating sweets while I do stuff for work or work on IEPs and reports. My big goal this year will be to avoid the sweets. So easy during the summer when I'm at home...
  • AudreyandHana
    AudreyandHana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always lose over the summer. I feel I have so much more time to shop for and plan my meals. I also save a fortune on food as,during the school year, I have a tendency to buy pre-prepared foods such as bagged salads whereas I tend to do everything from scratch over the summer.
  • tibeck01
    tibeck01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always gain a few pounds during the summer, then lose when school starts. The problem is that while I may gain 6 pounds over the summer, I only lose maybe 3 at the start of school. I work out, then spend too much time on the couch doing what I can't do over the school year...which is NOTHING lol. This is the first summer I haven't gained, due to a lifestyle change. Started running, and I do NOT buy junk food. What I do buy is for my son, who is 7, and is healthier "junk" food. I keep his snacks separate from mine in a basket with a lid, his "snack box" which is not in the pantry and I never have to see what is inside, and I am a lot less tempted. In fact I often forget it is there. Just getting it out of sight, and putting fruit on the counter top (visible) has actually helped a lot. I also wear my sneakers and comfy clothes during the day instead of getting "dressed up" because I am more likely to be active if I am wearing the shoes for it!
  • lbbeaty
    lbbeaty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If we didn't travel during the summer I think I would maintain fine...I've lost the same 6 pounds 3 times! Each on a trip!! So technically I've lost 18 lbs right?? Just kidding scale is the same as the last day of school. I'm starting insanity today..nervous.
  • khenderson78
    Options
    Another teacher here...the last two years have been odd (last summer I was pregnant and this summer I've lost simply because I've been taking off baby weight sloooooooowly), but usually I don't lose like I want to. I eat a lot less during the school year, but don't exercise much - not with night time planning, grading, and three kiddos and a husband to tend to in the three hours from when I get home until the kids go to bed), during the summer I have time to exercise, but I also have a lot of down time and that means snacking temptations!

I'm going to try to maintain more exercise this school year and I'm going to attempt to utilize the rest of this summer before chaos reigns again.
  • tibeck01
    tibeck01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same summer problem with the added issue of never going outside because it is 115 degrees or higher. the only good thing is that summer vacation is only 6 weeks. School starts Monday.

I have a similar problem. In SW Louisiana, it's not only HOT it is HUMID and, unless you are in water, it's too hot to spend much time outside. Our summer is about 9 weeks long, and school starts 10 August. Ready or not lol.

Would love to have other teacher friends. Feel free to add me.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm a school counselor and find the breaks and summer to be the hardest. Because I have a pretty set schedule (minus crises and mediations) I know when I'm going to eat lunch and when I'm going to fit in snacks. It has to be pretty scheduled in!!! In the summer there is more food accessible, the kids are snacking and since I'm home with my kids I can't get my 45 minutes to an hour at the gym!!!

Feel free to add me!!