Wedding Invitations????

Options
AMaro215
AMaro215 Posts: 78 Member
So I am having trouble with deciding on my wording for my wedding invitations that I will be getting done this Friday. My parents are still together, my fiances parents have been divorced since he was 9, mother remarried 3 years ago, father has not. Both my parents and his mother/step dad and father want their names on invitations. I just don't want it to look like too many...What do you think about this? I am using fake last names for privacy :)

Mr and Mrs. Steve Jones
request the honor of your presence
at the wedding of their daughter
(ME)
to
(Fiance)
Son of Mr. Ben Smith(fiances dad)
and
Mr and Mrs. Paul Williams( fiances mom)

I think the Mr and Mrs would look best but some of them want their actual FIRST name...example(Cheryl & Paul Williams)...Can someone give me some examples or how I should word this? I don't know whether or not to put his father first or his mom and step dad)

Replies

• Jbjessi
    Jbjessi Posts: 288
    Options
    it looks good to me. dont do first names they are not the priority of the wedding the bride and groom are
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree. Don't do first names.

Google it! There are a lot of wedding invitation tips online, and I'm sure I saw one where it said both parents had remarried.

Also, the only people who SHOULD have their names on the invite are the ones who have paid for the wedding. If they have both paid equally, their names should be at the very beginning, but usually it's only the brides parents who are named.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Get out while you still can
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    it looks good to me. dont do first names they are not the priority of the wedding the bride and groom are

Ditto!!
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your wedding, your day, your choice.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    An invitation is from the HOSTS of the event. If they all are contributing they should be listed. If it gets to be too much drama speak to the people who did contribute and ask if it would bother them to have the invite from you and fiance.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just run to Vegas and don't tell them. :-) Problem solved
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Who is paying? The hosts are the only ones who get their names on the invite. The invite is not for honoring anyone, you do that in the program.
    Or you could do "Together with their families".
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree, google for ideas. That's where I came up with ours which went something like this:

Because you have shared in their lives with friendship and love

Groom's name
    and
    Bride's Name

Together with their familes request your presence...
    Wedding details

John & Jane Doe (my parents)
    Paul & Georgia Smith (his Dad & Step-mom)
    Tom & Joanna Johnson (his Mom & Step-dad)

Parents names were listed at the very bottom of the invite, and we put their first/last name. Most of our parents have "nicknames" they go by so we put whatever they wanted formal or nickname. For example Tom for Thomas.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    An invitation is from the HOSTS of the event. If they all are contributing they should be listed. If it gets to be too much drama speak to the people who did contribute and ask if it would bother them to have the invite from you and fiance.

I agree with this. If your parents are putting on the wedding, you leave it as them requesting the guests' presence at the wedding of Your Name and Your Fiance's Name. Putting in the Son of etc etc - is left more for a mailed or newspaper announcement.

There certainly are a lot of variations that you can find online, it all depends on what you and your family feel comfortable with.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that if it is you guys and your families putting it on, a "Together with their families" line should be used instead of everyone's names. You'll be able to spell everyone out either on a wedding website if you have one, and/or a Ceremony program.
  • Kristen0526
    Kristen0526 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the way you worded it. If your parents are paying for the wedding, they should be at the top, then you and your fiance and after his name, put Mr. & Mrs. so-and-so. Yours and your fiance's first names should be the only ones on the invite, everyone else should be Mr. & Mrs. or Ms.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    How does your mother feel about being part of Mr. and Mrs. Steve Jones instead of Steven and Mary Jones?
    And likewise for your fiance's step mom?. I thought that went out with the 1970's
    If it was my daugher I'd want my name on there.
    But if your mom's and his step mom are ok with it, then whatever.

ETA I like run4wine's example
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    How does your mother feel about being part of Mr. and Mrs. Steve Jones instead of Steven and Mary Jones?
    And likewise for your fiance's step mom?. I thought that went out with the 1970's
    If it was my daugher I'd want my name on there.
    But if your mom's and his step mom are ok with it, then whatever.

ETA I like run4wine's example

I agree. I hate it when I am referred to as Mrs. (insert husband's name). I think it is so old-fashioned. Ultimately people don't really care. They just look at the design of the design and the picture (if included).
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    Just run to Vegas and don't tell them. :-) Problem solved

^^^ This is what I did :) No headaches!!! And had a fabulous time out there!
  • AMaro215
    AMaro215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do you think its okay to be putting my fiances fathers name before his mom and stepfather? I just don't want his fathers name all by itself at the bottom....I am getting them made today so I have to decide quick :-/ But then I am also worried his mother may be mad his dad is before her name, ahhhh!!!