Weight Loss and Hormone Therapy!

Options
Hi there I'm Robyn!

I was just wondering if anyone was having trouble losing weight whilst taking hormones, and if they had any kind of advice?

I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, and managed to lose a stone in weight before the surgery which was fab! However straight after it, I started to take cerezette to try and manage my symptoms, and put it all back on! I've since switched to the coil without a break, and soon I will be switching to hormonal injections as nothing has previously worked!

I'm eating the same things as I did when I was losing weight - but it just won't come off! I feel that since it went on really fast and won't really budge that it is due to the numerous hormonal treatments I have had!

Please if you find that you are losing weight whilst taking any additional kind of hormonal treatments - even the pill, could you tell me what it is you do! Obviously my priority if managing the pain as it is really affecting my life, but my weight is very unhealthy for my height so would like to manage both if possible!

Thanks so much for reading, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing myself!!!!!!! I can't seem to find anyone to talk to about it. I was on hormone therapy for problems I was having. Before starting I had begun to gain weight. Then I gained more, then lost 40 lbs in two months without doing anything. Then it started creeping back on. I switched from shots to the pill in January of this year, I've gained 30 pounds.

So I have stopped taking everything. I think enough time has passed where most of problems are going away. (meaning I'm getting old lol). But I joined this site to help track everything. I eat mostly healthy and am still having a hard time. I have 5 lbs that comes and goes overnight all the time.

Due to my specific problems I have cut way back on meat, about to just cut it out totally again, and I do feel better. My Dr. said the less food with hormones the better. The only cow dairy I do is a spoonful of greek yogurt in a smoothie and cheese. Cutting out cheese is hard.

Also I do have to eat gluten free, not for any fad diet, it took several years to finally get diagnosed and told to cut it out. Sometimes I will eat something anyway and pay for it.

So right now I'm trying really hard to focus on more veggies and I think maybe cutting back on fruit, my sugar intake is through the roof and it's all from fruit. My coffee creamer is sugar free but I'm getting way to many calories from that so I'm trying to figure out an alternative.

I have asked older women. I'm 42. I have asked Dr's. Everyone just says it's really hard with to lose weight with hormone problems. I walk everyday for work, dogwalker. I haven't given up. I'm convinced there is an answer I have yet to discover.

What type of foods do you eat? Maybe some of our healthy choices are not so healthy for our situation. Like the gluten thing for me. I was eating whole grains and trying to just become healthier and ended up making myself sick.

I am around a lot of older people, 75 and up. They all are in really good health and said in their day no one was overweight. They only ate whatever grew in the garden and meat was usually just for Sunday dinner. Sounds good to me. I don't have a garden this year but will next year. Food is supposed to skyrocket towards the end of the year, I guess we will all be skinny if it gets too high. lol.

In the mornings I still have way too much coffee. Late morning I usually have a smoothie with almond milk or green tea and two kinds of fruit. A boiled egg. I feel better and have more energy from that than any other meal all day. If I have a smoothie in the late afternoon it's like an energy boost so I'm gonna try that again today and see how it goes.

I will tell you though now that I stopped taking all hormone pills, I don't have the horrible hunger anymore. When on them I was hungry all the time, not just a little hungry, starving hungry. Now I no longer feel the urge to eat close to bedtime. Hope some of this helps. You are not alone. I wish someone would have told me as a young girl what to expect with hormones.
  • owlgoose
    owlgoose Posts: 25
    Options
    Hey

I'm taking cerazette AND have an implanon implant (hormone overkill -_-) but am still managing to lose the weight through calorie control. Literally log everything! I've knowck my calorie goal from 1200 to 1000 which seems to be working for me. I honestly don't do much exercise
  • belleeyes
    belleeyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing myself!!!!!!! I can't seem to find anyone to talk to about it. I was on hormone therapy for problems I was having. Before starting I had begun to gain weight. Then I gained more, then lost 40 lbs in two months without doing anything. Then it started creeping back on. I switched from shots to the pill in January of this year, I've gained 30 pounds.

So I have stopped taking everything. I think enough time has passed where most of problems are going away. (meaning I'm getting old lol). But I joined this site to help track everything. I eat mostly healthy and am still having a hard time. I have 5 lbs that comes and goes overnight all the time.

Due to my specific problems I have cut way back on meat, about to just cut it out totally again, and I do feel better. My Dr. said the less food with hormones the better. The only cow dairy I do is a spoonful of greek yogurt in a smoothie and cheese. Cutting out cheese is hard.

Also I do have to eat gluten free, not for any fad diet, it took several years to finally get diagnosed and told to cut it out. Sometimes I will eat something anyway and pay for it.

So right now I'm trying really hard to focus on more veggies and I think maybe cutting back on fruit, my sugar intake is through the roof and it's all from fruit. My coffee creamer is sugar free but I'm getting way to many calories from that so I'm trying to figure out an alternative.

I have asked older women. I'm 42. I have asked Dr's. Everyone just says it's really hard with to lose weight with hormone problems. I walk everyday for work, dogwalker. I haven't given up. I'm convinced there is an answer I have yet to discover.

What type of foods do you eat? Maybe some of our healthy choices are not so healthy for our situation. Like the gluten thing for me. I was eating whole grains and trying to just become healthier and ended up making myself sick.

I am around a lot of older people, 75 and up. They all are in really good health and said in their day no one was overweight. They only ate whatever grew in the garden and meat was usually just for Sunday dinner. Sounds good to me. I don't have a garden this year but will next year. Food is supposed to skyrocket towards the end of the year, I guess we will all be skinny if it gets too high. lol.

In the mornings I still have way too much coffee. Late morning I usually have a smoothie with almond milk or green tea and two kinds of fruit. A boiled egg. I feel better and have more energy from that than any other meal all day. If I have a smoothie in the late afternoon it's like an energy boost so I'm gonna try that again today and see how it goes.

I will tell you though now that I stopped taking all hormone pills, I don't have the horrible hunger anymore. When on them I was hungry all the time, not just a little hungry, starving hungry. Now I no longer feel the urge to eat close to bedtime. Hope some of this helps. You are not alone. I wish someone would have told me as a young girl what to expect with hormones.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I have cut back on whole grains, and focus more on protein and veggies. I want to be able to have treats, and I plan to exercise when I somehow manage to find a way to manage to my pain.

It is good to know that I am not alone at any rate!

I don't really have a choice about the hormones, because I am young and obviously don't want a hysterectomy, and that is the only way they can offer to try and help to manage my pain. I'm just trying not to eat to much even if I feel I am really hungry!
  • belleeyes
    Options
    Hey

I'm taking cerazette AND have an implanon implant (hormone overkill -_-) but am still managing to lose the weight through calorie control. Literally log everything! I've knowck my calorie goal from 1200 to 1000 which seems to be working for me. I honestly don't do much exercise

Thanks for your reply! How do you manage to just eat 1000 calories!! I honestly don't think I could survive - what do you eat to manage that? Are you not hungry?

I think my problem as well is that endometriosis often causes you to gain weight, so that plus hormone treatments are just killing me at the moment. The slight bright side is that the new hormones can cause you to lose weight - I'm hoping its true as it stops you from producing oestrogen and progesterone which are problematic when trying to lose weight!
  • skonly
    Options
    Belleeyes....Try making sure you get enough calcium. It does seem to help with my pain. Also I take magnesium daily now for the headaches. Since doing so my cluster headaches have basically stopped, and when I do have a round of them it's not for more than a week and they are not as severe. Like I said, I had to get off gluten but it did make a notice a difference with daily pain. I never have liked dairy other than cheese and I've cut it way back. You do not need cow milk for calcium, other ways to get it.

I am not going to list what all I went on the hormones for but I'm sure we share many of the same problems.

I am a big believer in using food first to try to heal yourself. I am not against meds when needed. It just seems like most of us can get off a few pills at least by changing how we eat. Try doing some research and look for forums related to your condition and problems. Don't believe everything you read of course. If I am doing searches and find a lot of ad pages selling supplements for whatever condition I will then do a separate search for the both and try to find some medical research by the government.

It is so hard to research these days because of all the ads with fake reports.

Also give up caffeine. I still drink coffee in the morning but hardly ever have soda, maybe one when I'm out but I don't bring them in the house. I use decaf green tea.

I do understand what you mean about pain. I've had natural childbirth after a car wreck, spinal surgery, kidney stones, migraine and cluster headaches, female problem.

I have noticed though eating any kinds of food with hormones affect me. My Dr agrees with me, he is older and said we are the generation suffering the effects of processed foods.

Speaking of, I'm hungry and nothing sounds good. I did too much yardwork today because I didn't want to wait for help and fell asleep on the couch for 4 hours. I'm gonna take a pain pill and find something to eat that won't require much effort. lol.
  • belleeyes
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I didn't know about calcium in relation to pain, nor did I know about magnesium! Will have to look it up. You have given me a lot to think about, with regards to cutting out foods to try and sort out the pain! Thank you! I'm glad that changing your diet has helped your symptoms alot!
  • Changemyfate
    Changemyfate Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this questions & for the responders input! I am 46 & have been wondering if my hormones have affected my ability to loose weight too. I am not taking H. therapy though, but I am sure that the A.G.E. club is hindering my success. Actually, what it's doing is making me really change my lifestyle vs. "dieting" & "working out" when I feel like it. Now - everyday - I have to exercise & eat clean (no junk!) and my body has really responded in feeling better in so many ways! I just really appreciate what you've learned & shared here - I never thought about the meat/hormone connection....make sense!! Actually - I wish we would see more on this issue.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have been on hormones since 1986 when I was diagnosed with early stages of cervical cancer.They do not affect my weight but what foods I put in my mouth does.If am 100% honest about the amount of food I eat and logging it into my diary every day and get up and move(exercise) at least 30 minutes every day I lose.I even quit smoking on Jan 26, 2012 after blood clots in my heart an legs almost ended my life and I am still losing weight! It's easy to blame weight gain on hormones but for me that would be B.S.
  • skonly
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I didn't know about calcium in relation to pain, nor did I know about magnesium! Will have to look it up. You have given me a lot to think about, with regards to cutting out foods to try and sort out the pain! Thank you! I'm glad that changing your diet has helped your symptoms alot!

A DR suggested calcium to me years ago for monthly breast pain and cramps. I looked into the relation and tried it, found it helps. The magnesium is something I started this year. My cluster headaches were getting worse, I had a three month cycle with no break. Every night, 2x a night, I would wake up with them. Preventative drugs don't work and pain medications are not fast enough. There is no warning, you just wake up and it's there. One of my dogs will start trying to get me sitting up before it hits. They are not like migraines, can't lay down or it's worse. I started reading about magnesium, looked at studies and a few forums. Some people are treated with injections. I thought I would try the supplements, started with a low dose and increased. After a few weeks the headaches stopped. Now I just take 250mg a day. It seems to help a lot of people.

Some women are not affected by taking hormones, some lose weight, some gain. Hormones are crazy.