What motivates you?

Options
After losing only 3 lbs in 7 weeks, I was starting to lose my motivation. I told myself that I must be gaining muscle mass and losing fat, but I had no proof. Until... my boot camp instructor re-tested our class's body fat percentage and I found out that I have lost 4% body fat since our class started 3 weeks ago! (I'm sure its no coincidence that I also joined MFP 3 weeks ago). I am soooo motivated to keep going now!

Sometimes during the process of losing weight can lose sight of what we are doing and then our motivation dwindles. (Me yesturday!) I'd like to hear about the positive things that keep people motivated to stay on track!

Replies

• sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    After losing only 3 lbs in 7 weeks, I was starting to lose my motivation. I told myself that I must be gaining muscle mass and losing fat, but I had no proof. Until... my boot camp instructor re-tested our class's body fat percentage and I found out that I have lost 4% body fat since our class started 3 weeks ago! (I'm sure its no coincidence that I also joined MFP 3 weeks ago). I am soooo motivated to keep going now!

Sometimes during the process of losing weight can lose sight of what we are doing and then our motivation dwindles. (Me yesturday!) I'd like to hear about the positive things that keep people motivated to stay on track!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with everyone like I have always been:

Aside from weight & fat loss, looking at someone much heavier than myself gives me motivation to keep going. I tell myself, "If I don't go to the gym, I'm going to look like that"

It works and I've been doing great since January 31st :)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Looking at that picture I posted. Do I want to look like that forever??? Nope!
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    Options
    I MISS shopping for clothes! I've gotten so frustrated with the mirror ...... :sad: I can't wait to drop some pounds and hit the mall!
  • cocobounty
    cocobounty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I want to get back into my summer clothes. I refuse to buy any more new ones!! So the only option is to lose the pounds!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I'd become the "fat Harley dude" my daughter and my best friend's daughter had asked me not to be. One day I looked at a photo my daughter had taken of me and I was embarrassed that I'd lost that look I had while on active duty. Today I'm 16 lbs away from my goal and looking as fit as I did when I retired from service. I keep that picture my daughter took of me near my exercise equipment and have to face it every morning.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh yes pictures of me that exaggerates the um not so positives! :ohwell:

I also think of it as hopefully extending my life span....and being around my son motivates me, like oh I sooo need to do this for him!

and reading fitness mags and books....and lastly but NOT least in my books coming here and being around all of you!

hugs and thanks! really thanks!!!!
    Ali :drinker:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    oh yes pictures of me that exaggerates the um not so positives! :ohwell:

I also think of it as hopefully extending my life span....and being around my son motivates me, like oh I sooo need to do this for him!

and reading fitness mags and books....and lastly but NOT least in my books coming here and being around all of you!

hugs and thanks! really thanks!!!!
    Ali :drinker:

I have to agree with you ali. This site motivates me:flowerforyou: not always easy but having a community of really positive people really helps.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    YES YES YES the pictures of me say it all and LOUD and CLEAR....and to be brutaly honest my mother...she is overweight, has many medical conditions and does nothing about it. She thinks popping 80 pilss is the answer. :explode:

And all of you guys of course!

zen
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I have the same issue, Zen. Seeing my overweight mom hobble around makes me really, really sad, but it also keeps me on the streight and narrow. This site has been an amazing inspiration to me too.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I have to be honest...I have had zero modivation since starting. True I may have a good day here and there, but for the most part my will power is lacking. I think a lot of it for me is that I went through a break up (dumped) 3 days after Christmas, and found out that he AlREADY has a new girlfriend, so I've just been depressed, and the modivation just isn't coming (which my gosh, you'd think it would!)
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Tap your anger!!! :mad: Use that to motivate you.... just wait until he sees you with your new body. Everyone is different as to what motivates them, but as long as it gets you off the couch and out of the fridge go for it!!

Sometimes sitting in a quiet place and reflecting on why you want to do it and visualizing yourself really helps you tap into it. Besides, whenever you are not feeling motivated, let us know and we'll give you a hand too if we can!!! You go girl!!!