Elementary Teachers

Options
kgillikin
kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
I have an interview Monday for an Elementary Job. I have never taught Elementary before only Junior High and High School. So please send me potential questions that I may be asked in my interview so I can prepare.

Thanks.

Replies

• PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here you go!!

http://bit.ly/Mj9C0M
  • abbylane35
    abbylane35 Posts: 16
    Options
    oh, gosh...it's been forever since I interviewed at the elementary level (I'm at middle school level presently)...

They usually ask how you would handle behavior problems, how you plan on communicating with parents, plans for getting all students involved in learning...hope this is a good start...and GOOD LUCK!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!!!

I work as a paraprofessional. I would be asking about the disiplinary guidelines are.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

<
    snickering...
  • cballiet
    cballiet Posts: 11
    Options
    How do you deal with aggressive parents?
    What do you do with a student who speaks English as their second language?
    How do you feel about respect, safety and responsibility?
    What do you love about teaching?
    Why should we hire you?
    What is your experience?
    What structured instruments of learning are you familiar with?
    What is the most important thing to establish during the first few weeks of school?

Hope these help. :)
    Have a great week!
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hahahaha Madrock, you're more correct than you think!

As for questions, I would pick up on things the interviewer says and go from there. Every interview is different and it's kinda hard to anticipate questions. A lot of questions would also depend upon the type of class that is vacant. BEST of luck! It's tough out there!
  • AskBelieveRecieve
    Options
    The big thing in elementary is how you manage your classroom, are you fair in your consequences....do you have a reward system in place for the kiddos, and parent communication and how you will deal with a not so pleasant parent....
  • bergsangel
    bergsangel Posts: 131
    Options
    added to above...

They will ask about your experience, try to think of some way to tie your experience to elementary teaching. Behavior plan, you will need to have a positive reinforcement plan, not just disciplinary. They may ask what you think the biggest challenge in the transition will be.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    At my school, all candidates are required to teach a lesson. They also ask
    1. How do you communicate with parents?
    2. Classroom management
    3. What would you bring to a team? They are big on this b/c they try to balance personalities on teams to avoid too many of the same types.
    4. Feelings/thoughts on team teaching
    5. Experience with special needs, ESOL, etc.
    6. What unique qualities/hobbies/knowledge can you bring to the school in general?
    7. Best/Worst qualities
    8. Ways you assess students- this is a big one
    8. Describe a lesson beginning to end
    9. Differentiated instruction
    10. How do you engage students and their parents
    11. Describe some ways you have integrated technology in your lessons
    12. How do you handle difficult parents/children/co workers
    13. What are your short and long term goals? What are you doing to continue professional development?

If you have portfolio (lesson plans, units, samples of student work, assessments, classroom management plans, etc) take it. People like to see things and not just here you talking. Hope this helps some.