Nail Biting Quitting Help

Options
ValerieMartini2Olives
ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
I have been a nail biter my whole life. 2 years ago it really dawned on me how disgusting of a habit it truly is, so I got the stuff to put on my nails to make them taste gross. I have been using it for 2 years now. I still can't stop. I'll go 2-3 weeks without biting, but then I'll tear them completely off to the point of bleeding and severe pain.

Right now they are in the stage of growth. I filed them and polished them and they looked all pretty - that is until this morning when I tore my thumb up. Now I feel guilty as hell like usual. I immediately came home and coated them with the nasty stuff.

It's been 2 years. How do I stop?

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I caved and got acrylics done. Can't chew those!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Same boat. Don't know what to do. It really sucks.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you can log you hang nail biting, it's under excersises.
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Same boat, i got acryllics done, but once they come off, I am biting my nails again.
  • Jennifer23
    Jennifer23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ever sit on your hands? LOL

I know it sounds funny -- but I would recommend sitting on your hands when you're more likely to start chewing on your nails. Watching TV, hanging out with friends/family -- whatever it is. Just tuck 'em away. ;-)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I caved and got acrylics done. Can't chew those!

That is a good suggestion which I have done in the past. However, fake nails severely get in the way of what I do for a living. It would never ever work for me. Plus, I can't afford to go to the nail salon once a week.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I quit using acrylics, quit years ago. You have to figure out triggers and then beat those too as you wear the nails.
    Mind over mouth..
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think its easier for women to stop, because you can get acrylic nails (this is what I did) And eventually you stop because you can't chew them. I still chew them every now and then but I don't let myself feel bad, If I chew them, I file them or polish them and move forward. Kinda the same thing for weight loss, if you fall off the wagon just get back on :)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Chop off your fingers...Thats the only way i`d stop biting my nails..
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I'm no expert, but you could do this because you are nervous or anxious. What are you feeling when you do it?

My suggestion for stopping would be to keep your hands busy or go for a walk and try to be mindful of your behavior. If you are present, you can stop yourself before it's too late.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    At the drug store, they sell match-book style nail files from Mrs Manicure or something like that. If you tear your nail, you have to HAVE TO, MUST file it. NO CHEWING. Carry these little files in your purse, fix the roughness IMMEDIATELY.

Both my husband and I are furious nail biters and the foul tasting stuff and nail polish/manicures have done NOTHING to stop it. Because if its not the nail, its the cuticle... the best thing you can do is absolutely never chew, pick or otherwise maim your nails. You have to get so committed to filing, clipping, etc. that you won't let them go into your mouth. I am not lying when I say we have nail files in every.single.room of our house - bathrooms, bedrooms, office, kitchen, living room, etc. For the most part, we've both broken our habit.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My Mom says to stop biting one finger nail at a time and work your way to all of them. Good luck
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I started carrying a nail clipper and file around in my pocket to fix any tears/roughness immediately before I was tempted to chew it off. I also started carrying Orbitz to chew instead. Worked like a charm.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    the healthiest if you can find someone is bioscuplt gel, they don't damage your nails or anything, and I can go about 4 weeks before they start to look icky and need a fill... otherwise I would still recommend getting falsies... doesn't mean they have to be long, that's why I like the biosculp I don't add tips I just get it on my natural nail, protects them makes them grow like crazy but I can keep them filed short :)

I believe there is a new way of getting manicures now also that is some sort of similar gel polish... so you get your nails painted in effect but cured under the uv light like gel nails, and it lasts like 3 weeks or something, you can even buy all the stuff to do it yourself if you want to pay for the uv lamp.

or have you ever tried the nasty tasting polish they sell for that?

:) good luck
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with acrylics. I have the same problem. Long nails get in the way for me too, so I have them cut down to right at my fingertip. Go in every 2 weeks for a fill in.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    Ever sit on your hands? LOL

I know it sounds funny -- but I would recommend sitting on your hands when you're more likely to start chewing on your nails. Watching TV, hanging out with friends/family -- whatever it is. Just tuck 'em away. ;-)

I sit on my hands a lot too. When I'm driving or on the couch or at work like right now. I do have nail files at work in my desk too. I need to put a mini one in the car. My husband has one in his car.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    You have to figure out triggers and then beat those.
    Mind over mouth..

what she said... i know i bite my nails when i drive... doesn't matter, short distance or long distance. also stress causes me to bite my nails... i used to grow my nails for a whole semester at school only to bite them off during exam time.

but i think its a similar thing as changing your diet/exercise habits... when you're ready to make the change and commit to a new habit then you'll do it. that's all i can say has worked for me... i just decided one day i don't want to anymore. not to say i don't still slip up (just like i do with my eating habits).
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. In my case, I notice that I pick at my nails and cuticles MORE when I am actively trying to lose weight. When I was eating unchecked, I was better able to leave my nails alone. Try using Nailtiques - it is a nail protein. They have three different formulas that will take you to healthy, strong nails. It looks like a clear polish- and to me, that is always a deterrent to picking/biting when your nails look shiny & polished. Try a manicure every couple of weeks- this really does help! Good luck to you!
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    you can log you hang nail biting, it's under excersises.

Sorry to laugh at a serious subject, but that is hilarious. :-)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    NAIL POLISH. =) Or take some nail polish remover to them.....