Question - Calories Burned? More food?

Options
Ok, I have a question. :)
When I was first setting up my account, I entered my starting weight (130) and goal weight (122) and also entered that I was going to exercise about three times a week for 30 minutes. Does the program calculate your daily calories based on the fact that you will exercise that amount? Because I exercised today and then entered it in the program, and I have 280 extra calories to 'spend!'.
Bottom line: if I eat within the daily calorie limits, and on the days I exercise eat more (because it tells me I have more to eat) than I will still lose the weight by the time it says I will?
So pretty much, the daily caloric intake they give me is my maximum calorie intake to lose a set amount of weight without needing to exercise?

Thanks for any and all help!
- Steph

PS I am 5'6", 130 if that is at all relevant.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Does the program calculate your daily calories based on the fact that you will exercise that amount?
    No, it doesn't count it until you actually log the exercise. It's confusing that they ask for your exercise goal and then don't count it, but that's how it is set up. You can test this by going back and changing your planned exercise to say, no exercise at all, or 24 hours 7 days a week, and you will see that it doesn't change your calorie goal for the day.

Also keep in mind: when it asks for your activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc) you should not include your exercise in that.
  • smessina7
    smessina7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for responding!!
    So pretty much, if I exercise, it's bonus calories to eat unless I want to reach my goal faster? :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding!!
    So pretty much, if I exercise, it's bonus calories to eat unless I want to reach my goal faster? :)
    That's the idea. The point is that it keeps your deficit from getting too large - if you eat 1200 calories and then burn off 600 through exercise, you aren't getting a lot of fuel for your body. Over time that will be harmful.

Another thing to consider: if you are going by what MFP says, the numbers they're giving you for exercise calories burned are just estimates. Some people don't eat back all of the exercise calories because they're afraid it's overestimating. I say try eating them all if you're hungry, and if you don't lose weight that way you can always adjust.
  • MollyKid
    MollyKid Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been thinking that exact question. Thanks for the helpful reply!
  • smessina7
    smessina7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Great! Thank you so much for your help.
    I do my own calorie counts and enter them in because what I do is more accurate, but I will think about saving some of those calories from exercise for Buffalo Wild Wings on Thursday.

Thanks again and best of luck!!
    -Steph