New Iced Coffee - not very nutritional

Options
There is a major fast food chain, really major, that is heavily advertising their "Medium Iced Coffee"
The problem is that they don't mention that it has 200 calories, 8 grams of Fat and 30, yes 30 grams of Sugar in a medium coffee. That's about 80% of my daily Sugar.
They don't say the coffee has any sugar in it, it's just advertised as "Iced Coffee". Glad I have MFP to look these things up.

Replies

• datikihut21
    datikihut21 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Went into DD today to get my usual XL hazelnut with skim milk and 1 splenda on the way to the office. Got blindsided by this amazing new Oreo Coolatta they have out now. I fought off the craving, but it looked so good! I'm sure it had even more than 30 grams of sugar.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make my own! I can use real half and half (I measure 2 tbsp) and a packet of Truvia and my iced coffee is only 45 calories and costs nothing. These days I don't even trust the nutritional guides half the time because who knows how much cream and sweetener they really throw in there.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I make my own too and the only calories in it is from the skim milk. I like it better than McDonalds, its not so overwhelmingly sweet.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You can't trust food purveyors... they are counting on your not reading or caring about nutritional info.

With that in mind, if it tastes good and it's priced correctly, you'll buy it. Damn your health! Their profits are much more important.
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    I found a very easy recipe on line to make my own. I soak coffee grounds in cold water over night, filter off the grounds then store the strong coffee in the fridge. When I want an iced coffee, I half fill a glass with ice, add the coffee then I use 1% milk and splenda or sweet and low. Makes a nice treat, and I know the calories aren't going to kill me. The recipe also gives the "treat" additions when you need the little extra to celebrate.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you go to the 'major chains' website or Dunk's website they give you all the nutritional info right there. The interwez ARE amazing!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own by freezing plain coffee in ice trays and using them as ice cubes in light soy or almond milk. Very tasty.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    even scarier.. they are ALLOWED to be off by something like 10%... add THAT up over time. Out of curiosity, i started weighing anything prepackaged, and was shocked. One day alone there was in increase of 500 calories.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Get it unsweetened.
    I go to Starbucks, Mcdonalds or DD every morning before work.
    Only cream 100-120 calories.

You don't need sugar!
  • carltonJC
    carltonJC Posts: 10
    Options
    Monster Java Iced Coffee- 200 calories for a full can, and has great taste! Keeps you going through the whole day!
  • stefaniecagno
    Options
    Monster Rehab is even better! For Iced Tea+Lemonade+Energy or Green Tea+Energy it's 20 calories per can, and the Iced Tea one tastes just like an Arnold Palmer, but with more caffeine
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I like to make my own by freezing plain coffee in ice trays and using them as ice cubes in light soy or almond milk. Very tasty.

Stolen! love this idea...
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is only 200 calories? I thought I saw a poster that said it was made with 'real cream'?