Help with of a Body Comp Test? What am I doing wrong?!

Options
Hello Everyone! (sorry the topic should read Help with a Body Comp Test? What am I doing wrong?!)

I'm hoping you can help me interpret the results of a Body Composition Test I had done today? I am currently 6 weeks into a weight loss plateau - which prompted me to get this test so I am able to know more accurately what kind of calorie deficit I should be on. My calorie intake has been about 1600 calories a day while working out 40 minutes 5 days a week (I'm on month two of the ChaLEAN Extreme program - I always eat back my workout calories like you're supposed to! I also use a Polar HRM to get a good idea of calories burned every day). I had previously completed 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and Insanity, and managed to lose 15lbs in about 6 months. I started ChaLEAN and have not lost ANY weight, and only 1/2 inch in the month and a half since I've been doing it! My test results indicate my BMR is 1537 calories, and my DEE is 2460 calories. The naturopath said I'm on track eating my BMR, but I thought you were supposed to subtract 500 calories per day from your DEE? If the latter is correct, then I am seriously undereating calories by creating a deficit of 860 calories a day which could be why I am not losing weight? However, if I am on track eating my BMR then why am I no longer losing weight - especially considering I changed up my routine and started weight training?
Please help! You guys are amazing with advice!
Thanks so much!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You should be creating the deficit from your TDEE not your BMR....

That being said, I would incorporate some more strength training and heavy lifting. I would probably eat at or just above your BMR.

Also, i'm not sure what your macros looks like but i'd make sure you are getting enough protein. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The TDEE includes exercise calories, so if you are eating 860 under TDEE but eating back cals then you are eating close to TDEE than 860 under. If you burned 400 calories and ate those back then you would only be 460 under TDEE.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Eat around 1900-2000 a day.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Eat around 1900-2000 a day.

I agree with this.
  • liamsmommy082011
    liamsmommy082011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So when logging in MFP should I be aiming for 1900ish NET calories??? I am lifting heavy three times per week and doing cardio the other two! I have my macros set for 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein and make sure I at least hit my protein for the day even if the other two are off (I am a carb junkie - working on it!) I just desperately want to break through this plateau!
  • liamsmommy082011
    Options
    I'm just confused to if I should set MFP to 1900 calories and STOP logging my workouts, or continue to log them and eat those calories back which would mean I would be taking in more food calories? I know this question has been asked a million times but I've read through hours of it and still can't figure it out (the TDEE method vs MFP method!)
    Thanks!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You should be creating the deficit from your TDEE not your BMR....

That being said, I would incorporate some more strength training and heavy lifting. I would probably eat at or just above your BMR.

Also, i'm not sure what your macros looks like but i'd make sure you are getting enough protein. :)

Chalean Xtreme IS strengh training and very definitely heavy lifting......

Try eating between 1900 and 2000 a day and do not eat anything back - I just started CX, but also run 3x per week - I eat between 1800-2000 except on the days I do long runs - then I would eat back until I net my BMR (1530)
  • liamsmommy082011
    Options
    Thank you thank you!!!! I usually only do CLX but sometimes do yoga which doesn't burn many calories anyway. I've always ate back my calories so I'm happy to know this is probably why I'm not longer losing weight!