less expensive, low carb protein shakes/bars/supplements?

Options
when reading my friends' diaries and stuff i always see that they either drink protein shakes or bars or take supplements. I looked some things up and found that the bars have a lot of carbs usually or the powders for shakes are very expensive.

any suggestions for some low carb or inexpensive protein things? I just want to feel a little more full without spending a ton of money or going over my carbs (which im watching religiously lately)

thanks!

Replies

• Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The Atkins brand bars and shakes are good, but some people it causes to plateau. I never had a problem.

I use a whey protein mix for shakes, and throw it in a blender with ice, maybe a small piece of fruit or peanut butter, and drink that. I don't eat many crabs throughout the day so I can usually have about a 10 carb smoothie and be ok.

If you want to see my journal and see what I had today, feel free to add me. I am on a low-carb plan.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The low-carb bars generally don't taste very good. GNC usually has a shelf of discontinued items, or you can get good deals on bodybuilding.com for powders. I really like the fruit isolate ones. They taste like juice and don't have a chalky texture.
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options
    when reading my friends' diaries and stuff i always see that they either drink protein shakes or bars or take supplements. I looked some things up and found that the bars have a lot of carbs usually or the powders for shakes are very expensive.

any suggestions for some low carb or inexpensive protein things? I just want to feel a little more full without spending a ton of money or going over my carbs (which im watching religiously lately)

thanks!

The Atkins shakes have 2 net carbs. The milk chocolate delight is okay and the mocha latte and cafe caramel (both contain coffee) are really good. I've also tried the strawberry and it was gross tasted like cardboard or something. You can order them from Walmart.com and they have a bundle where it winds up being like $5 something for each pack. I believe they even have free shipping. Also, the Total Lean shakes from GNC have 3 net carbs. The strawberry kind is really good and the chocolate is pretty good as well. Catch GNC when they have their buy one get one 50% sale (which they do pretty often). You can also purchase a gold card where you receive 20% off the first week (I believe) of the month of your purchases that last an entire year.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like EAS 100% Whey Protein vanilla flavor which has 3 grams of carbs per serving and 23 grams of protein. A huge bag is $18 and lasts forever!

For bars, I like Think Thin bars. They aren't low carb per se, but they are gluten free and 0g of sugar. At my store you can get them for 2 for $3.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Until you calculate how the protein/cost of powders they seem really expensive.

After you calculate that, you see they really aren't that bad, and are sometimes the most economical way to get protein without added fat or carbs.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels Triple Chocolate protein shake has only 7 carbs 2 grams fat 3g fiber and 3 g sugar. It's only $10 AND it's sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar-sugar or other bad for you artificial sweeteners. Put it in a blender with a 1/2 cup of water and a 1/2 cup of ice. There is a vanilla one too. :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I like Atkins bars. They are low carb, a lot of them are around 150 cals and only a few net carbs. I think they taste really good but maybe I've been eating this kind of stuff so long I don't know what the real thing taste like.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

After you calculate that, you see they really aren't that bad, and are sometimes the most economical way to get protein without added fat or carbs.

^^^ this

Avoid gbc, anything branded by the latest fitness guru fad diet etc

If you want protein powder the best deals and best quality are found online the same places bodybuilders get them

Check out optimum nutrition or the bodybuilding.com store if there are any sales on
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options

^^^ this

Avoid gbc, anything branded by the latest fitness guru fad diet etc

If you want protein powder the best deals and best quality are found online the same places bodybuilders get them

Check out optimum nutrition or the bodybuilding.com store if there are any sales on
    ^^^ also recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein (Double Rich chocolate is yummy). it's $52.99/5lb on amazon or at gnc. 3g carbs w/ 24g of protein. it's totally worth it.
  • rjdeyes
    rjdeyes Posts: 4
    Options
    most of these low carb protein shakes/bars are very filling...if you buy it in bulk then it will be cheaper...

instead of eating McD's combo which will run you $6, you will be spending only $3 for the bar

Just do remember that these shakes/bars are replacement for something that you are used to eating...at least thats how i see it

I order my stuff online and i get points (to be converted as discounts) . I usually get my shakes $10 - $20 cheaper than in stores (gnc). As long as I spend $100, shipping is free.

Hope this helps.
  • daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Target protein shake....I think someone mentioned it already. $19.99 + tax....lasts awhile as well. It's in my diary.
  • kiki973
    kiki973 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar is delicious & 0 Carbs. I buy mine online but it's also sold at vitamin shop.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    As you can see from my diary I like Muscle Milk (which I use more as a meal replacement) and Optimum Nutrition Casein. The muscle milk also is one of the few I've found that are pretty good just in water.

The ON Casein goes down really thick and really fills me up. The bodybuilding line is to take it before bed because studies have shown how slowly it digests, but I like it at any time of the day.