WHEN DO YOU MEASURE?

Options
I have been on here for over a year. I have not been losing weight really, and each time I measure sporadically every few months or so (when I'm feeling good about me) I haven't lost ANYTHING. As a matter of fact, I realized a while ago I was measuring incorrectly and it was actually more than I thought.

So the past few weeks I have really changed things up diet wise. Added a little more cardio for exercise. And actually measured myself again with a clean slate this week.

So my question is, how often should I measure so as not to feel discouraged? How often do you measure?

Replies

• lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i measure around the beginning of the month and i measure my hips, waist, top thigh, upper arm and neck. I do suggest not measuring during that time of the month in case of bloating but find a time that is right for you - ialso try to measure in the am.
  • caseybreunig
    caseybreunig Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I measure about once a month, in the morning on a weigh in day.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I usually only measure every few months... in the attempt at not getting discouraged but like you I have been on here for... 2yrs now... and not lost nearly as much weight as I would like... I'm on a yearlong plateau now!

Good luck.
  • jhall1980
    Options
    I love MFP! I have been following all of the tools on this site for about a month & a half. I have lost 15lbs since I started. My daughter is going to be 1 at the end of this month & this is the 1st time since she has been born that I have actually lost weight. Before I found this site I was actually gaining weight.

I work at 4am M-F. Every Monday before I get in the shower (at 3am) I weigh myself. & once a month I measure myself. Doing it this way has worked out for me so far.
    I have become pretty health concience & calorie count everything. I drink nothing but water & pretty much cut out all junk food. For me portion control has been the key. I also have an elliptical & try to use that at least once a day for 25 minutes.

I know that its going to get harder to lose weight eventually, but for now i'm happy with my results :smile:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Today actually makes my 4 month anniversary of joining MFP, so I did my measurements today. I've been doing them every 2 months, and it's been working well for me. I've lost about 17 pounds since I joined here, so my weight loss hasn't been fast, but I have been seeing pretty good results in my measurements. I also make sure to measure in the AM.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I measure on the 1st of the month :)
  • Raeann
    Options
    Never, when I was a teen I got into the measuring thing and drove myself crazy!

I am trying to focus more on just sticking to eating better, clothes fitting better.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if i am measuring right either when you measure your tummy do you go above your belly button or middle?