Wanna get knocked up :-P

Options
gkwatra
gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
My husband and I are trying for a baby and I am wondering if I should keep up with my vigorous workouts while we are trying. I know once I am pregnant, I can't do anything vigorous for 9 months (other than walking and yoga), but would like to know if it's okay while trying to get pregnant. My doctor says it's fine but my husband thinks I should scale it back now. Although I am prepared to take it easy while pregant, I not sure if I want to give it up right now while we're trying since it is a great mental release for me. I am also really starting to see results and want to keep at what I've been doing. I did miscarry in the past but I didn't push myself physically in any way. Any thoughts?

Replies

• eleblanc999
    Options
    keep up the hard work :) the healthier your body, the better chances you will have of conceiving <3 if you start to "feel" pregnant or start showing any signs, then relax a little bit just incase. but until then, work it girl :)
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would go with what your doctor says, he knows best. I've been trying to get regnant for 8 months now, NO exercising and nothing is happening, LOL, so I don't thinking cutting back on your workouts will do anything
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    YES I DO!!!!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You can work out straight up until your doctor tells you to stay in bed. That includes cardio and weightlifting. It'll keep you healthy, and the baby healthy as well.

There was a story about a woman who ran a marathon while 9 months pregnant, then after, she went straight to the hospital to give birth. True story.

Also, by you keeping yourself healthy, it'll give the baby benefits as well. Eating healthy food and exercising promotes the baby developing healthy weight and circulation, as well as other things that my mother-in-law (who has worked in the nursery in the hospital for 30+ years - babies when they're first born, helping mums, etc.) has mentioned that I can't remember.

I can see why your husband is paranoid, but working out will do you more good than harm.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The healthier the body...the better....
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting pregnant after the fall (want to at least enjoy my new body for the Summer). I plan on walking 3 miles every single day while pregnant.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I'm also TTC (again) this fall and my doc told me I was healthy to carry now but I want to get down more in weight first for my own well being and sanity. Once pregnant, I do plan on still doing low impact cardio and some weight lifting while pregnant. You won't see me deadlifting 200 lbs but I'll be out there. ;)
  • MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    you can absolutely keep working out! my doctor cleared everything up to and including kick boxing until I was 4 or 5 months, then I had to quit zumba and kick just because my balance was getting iffy. If you are well versed and comfortable with it before you get pregnant you can keep up with it! working out does not cause miscarriage. You can totally do it!
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm TTC too after two miscarriages last year and I'm carrying on as normal.

There's a woman who goes to my gym who's gotta be about 6 or 7 months pregnant and she still goes on the cross trainer and the bike. I see her in there at least twice a week.

I think I'll take it easy for the first 12 weeks just because my miscarriages were at 6 and 8 weeks but once I'm past 12 weeks, providing my doctor is happy I'll carry on exercising.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy does not mean you can't do anything vigorous. You should definately consult your OB, but I've known women that run throughout pregnancy. Even my dance teacher danced the whole time, she just jumped less at the end:)