Goal weight?

Options
I am 5 foot 6 and I'm not sure what my goal weight should be, anyone around this height what is your goal weight?

Replies

• magicmike24
    Options
    around 120-130ish is a good weight for that height. you dont want to walk around looking like a toothpick either lol
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'5". First I thought around 130, but as I'm losing and toning, I'm starting to think 130 might be too much. So I'm going to wing it and stop when I feel like I look good. I set 140 as my MFP goal weight and I'll see what happens. I might stop at 150, I might keep going to 130. (I have big boobs and on the medium-large size of bones/frame, so that makes a little difference too).
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Going for a goal weight based solely on your height is asking for trouble. Instead, go for a healthy bodyfat percentage.

Reasoning: There are different body frames for every height - just because someone is at their right weight and you're the same height, doesn't mean you need to have the same weight. Your shoulders and hips may be wider and can carry more weight efficiently. Or you may have more muscle mass already and don't need to lose as much weight as the other person.

Do a tape measurement bodyfat analysis (just search online for "bodyfat calculator") and make your judgements from there.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used the standard old BMI calculator. I figured being smack-dab in the middle of the "Healthy" range for my height would be a good goal to shoot for. At 5'8", that's 145lb. I was also 145lb at a point in college, and I was happy with that size (although I wasn't exercising so I had no tone).

I also might adjust it up or down as I get closer to it to see what feels right for me.

For you at 5'6", 135lb puts you right in the middle of the "Healthy" range according to BMI.
    http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Good luck!
  • kimb1965
    kimb1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi :) we are the same height..my goal is 135, which is okay with doc- but no lower.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm about 5'5". First I thought around 130, but as I'm losing and toning, I'm starting to think 130 might be too much. So I'm going to wing it and stop when I feel like I look good. I set 140 as my MFP goal weight and I'll see what happens. I might stop at 150, I might keep going to 130. (I have big boobs and on the medium-large size of bones/frame, so that makes a little difference too).

I am the same but 5'6" I was going to set my goal to 130 but I think I might stick at 140 but I guess I will just have to see what I am happy with
  • smessina7
    smessina7 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am 130 and 5'6". I am thin, but I want to be wow instead of average which is why I'm trying to lose a bit of weight (8 lbs) and tone up a bit. But 130 lbs is a healthy BMI. :)
  • farfalla_rosa
    farfalla_rosa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 (female) and my goal weight is 130-135 lbs. My current weight is 160lbs.

It'll all depend on my how muscle you have as well. More muscle means more weight but it also means you'll be more toned! I'd just play it by ear.

If you get down to 140 and you like how you look and feel stay at that weight. If you get down to 125 and like it better, go for it!
  • tibeck01
    tibeck01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5". I started at 148 and am now down to 134. My initial goal weight was 120, but since I have also started working out as well as eating better, I can tell that my body is leaner and toned and I think 120 might be too small because I am building lean muscle along with losing fat, so I changed my goal weight to 130. It also depends on age, I think. If I were 20 years old, I might still go for 120 lbs, but at 38 years old, I have decided I like my curves. I have changed from wanting to be thin to wanting to be healthy and toned. If I were you, I would decide on a fitness goal and a weight goal and then as you get closer to each, re-evaluate.
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I'm not going for a real number-just what makes me feel good and when I think I look good. On here I did put I wan to get down to 150lbs and I still think that will be ideal for me (that will be about a 130lbs loss for me) but still gonna wait and see but I also want to make sure my body fat is in the healthy range! Good luck hon!
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 - my goal weight is 120lbs, but it's what I call my vanity weight. I'd be happy to be anywhere below 130.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6'' and my goal is 135.

My "healthy BMI" is anywhere from 119 to 154, so I went in the middle of that. I have a medium frame, so that's what I based that on.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can do it backwards. I figure out what BMI I want by putting in my height and recalculating BMI at different weights. 22 is right in the middle of the healthy range.

Alternatively, if you have other times in your life when you've been different weights, you can go for that. Personally I set it for 165 (I'm 5'`10") because it's a BMI of 22, I thought it was relatively attainable, and it was more or less my stable weight when I was in my 20's. It's also something I HAVEN'T managed to hit when I wasn't nursing for 20 years.

I figured if I hit that and could maintain that, I'd go for 152, which is the weight I left college with. I know for a fact that if I'm under 150 I get REALLY GRUMPY. Not good for me.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and pear shaped with a small to Medium frame. I am 135lbs right now but my goal is set to 130....(I like to reset it another 5lbs each time I reach a goal. Make me feel good knowing I've reached the mini-goals) and my current BF% is 24% and my muscle mass% is 34.4%. So I'm going to try to lose weight until I get to 18-20% body fat which ever weight number that is.... I'd love to say I only weight 120 but that may be too hard for me to stabalize my weight at, but seriously getting the body fat% down is my ultimate goal.

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Going for a goal weight based solely on your height is asking for trouble. Instead, go for a healthy bodyfat percentage.

Reasoning: There are different body frames for every height - just because someone is at their right weight and you're the same height, doesn't mean you need to have the same weight. Your shoulders and hips may be wider and can carry more weight efficiently. Or you may have more muscle mass already and don't need to lose as much weight as the other person.

Do a tape measurement bodyfat analysis (just search online for "bodyfat calculator") and make your judgements from there.

This ^^^^
  • mercikaleb
    mercikaleb Posts: 14
    Options
    Everyones body is different.
    I dont go by those stupid charts.

I go by how I look and feel..

I look really thin at 135 and I am only 5ft 3

for every inch they say you can go up 5 pounds so if I were 5 ft 6 I would prob look very thin at 150
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    my goal is 145. ? Im muscular and hourglass tho. Body shape is important as to what weigh looks good.
  • Todd196844
    Options
    My WIFE is 5'3" and 120 pounds and she looks great! I am betting 135ish (even 140) would be fine!!!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    im going for 150-145.
    i wouldnt look good any less.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    10% or less body fat percentage.