Toe Nails

Options
GROSS FACTOR WARNING! you have been warned. Ok, I stubbed my toe the other day, maybe at the most a week ago and again (same toe) today. It fell off...Can I still run? I have it wrapped up but is it safe to run with it gone? Also, will it grow back? I know this is probably silly, my inner b!tch is telling me to shut the hell up and grow a pair, but I've never had this happen before and don't want to cause any further damage.

Replies

• lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    it will grow back just very slowly. and yea ok to run with just rest couple of days and keep it tightly wrapped as it will be prone to bleed
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not causing you a lot of pain, it's okay to keep running with it. Keep it wrapped while running but try to let it get air when you aren't. Dedicated runners lose toe nails all the time. :)
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Yup, had it happen a couple of times(I am very coordinated, haha). It is safe to run, but it will take a very long time to grow back. I started "painting " on a fake nail!
  • kasiwelte
    kasiwelte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is actually quite common for long distance runners to lose toe nails while training for long distance runs. A couple of years ago I completed a marathon and during the training I lost a toe nail on each foot. I kept going and they do eventually grow back. If it is causing you pain, I would do what the others suggest, wrap it and maybe take it a little easy.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I feel so weird asking. I hope I don't end up losing more :/ There's no pain unless I smash it (there's a reason I am not named Grace) So I guess I'll just suck it up. I'm a Runner now :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My sister has a running hat that says "Toe nails are for sissies." Words to live by. :laugh: