Do you have this -> All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder

Options
I think I do! I eat angelically 4-5 days a week and as soon as the weekend comes and I eat something "bad", my whole weekend turns into a bonanza of junk and over eating! Moderation is key. This article by Alan Aragon explores the meaning of clean eating and the importance of moderation http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

He says:
"All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder Risk

In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.” It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers, and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food. This isn’t just an empty claim; it’s been seen in research. Smith and colleagues found that flexible dieting was associated with the absence of overeating, lower bodyweight, and the absence of depression and anxiety [22]. They also found that a strict all-or-nothing approach to dieting was associated with overeating and increased bodyweight. Similarly, Stewart and colleagues found that rigid dieting was associated with symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and anxiety [23]. Flexible dieting was not highly correlated with these qualities. Although these are observational study designs with self-reported data, anyone who spends enough time among fitness buffs knows that these findings are not off the mark.

Applying Moderation: The 10-20% Guideline

For those hoping that I’ll tell you to have fun eating whatever you want, you’re in luck. But, like everything in life, you’ll have to moderate your indulgence, and the 10-20% guideline is the best way I’ve found to do this. There currently is no compelling evidence suggesting that a diet whose calories are 80-90% from whole & minimally processed foods is not prudent enough for maximizing health, longevity, body composition, or training performance. As a matter of fact, research I just discussed points to the possibility that it’s more psychologically sound to allow a certain amount of flexibility for indulgences rather than none at all. And just to reiterate, processed does not always mean devoid of nutritional value. Whey and whey/casein blends are prime examples of nutritional powerhouses that happen to be removed from their original food matrix.

The 10-20% guideline isn’t only something I’ve used successfully with clients; it’s also within the bounds of research. Aside from field observations, there are three lines of evidence that happen to concur with this guideline. I’ll start with the most liberal one and work my way down. The current Dietary Reference Intakes report by Food & Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine lists the upper limit of added sugars as 25% of total calories [24]. Similarly, an exhaustive literature review by Gibson and colleagues found that 20% of total calories from added sugars is roughly the maximum amount that won’t adversely dilute the diet’s concentration of essential micronutrition [25]. Keep in mind that both of these figures are in reference to refined, extrinsic sugars, not naturally occurring sugars within whole foods like fruit or milk. Finally, the USDA has attempted to teach moderation with their concept of the discretionary calorie allotment, defined as follows [26]:

“…the difference between total energy requirements and the energy consumed to meet recommended nutrient intakes.”

Basically, discretionary calories comprise the margin of leftover calories that can be used flexibly once essential nutrient needs are met. Coincidentally, the USDA’s discretionary calorie allotment averages at approximately 10-20% of total calories [27]. Take note that discretionary calories are not just confined to added sugars. Any food or beverage is fair game. The USDA’s system is still far from perfect, since it includes naturally-occurring fats in certain foods as part of the discretionary calorie allotment. This is an obvious holdover from the fat-phobic era that the USDA clings to, despite substantial evidence to the contrary [28].

It’s important to keep in mind that protein and fat intake should not be compromised for the sake of fitting discretionary foods into the diet. In other words, make sure discretionary intake doesn’t consistently displace essential micro- & macronutrient needs, and this includes minimum daily protein and fat targets, which vary individually. This may be tough to accept, but alcohol is not an essential nutrient. Its risks can swiftly trump its benefits if it’s consumed in excess, so it falls into the discretionary category."

Replies

• margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    "This may be tough to accept, but alcohol is not an essential nutrient." What? :noway: Liars! haha jk

Good article, thanks for sharing!
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think I have "to work" on this 10-20% rule as well. I eat "perfectly" 5-6 days/week but I can binge on 2500-3500 kcal on a single week end day. The worst part: I do not enjoy these cheat-foods because I do not CHOOSE to eat them, I eat them following the urge, then I feel guilty,no joy, no "responsibility".

I never crave unhealthy food for the "gusto" of these foods, usually it is an emotional hunger in some moments. That's why I know but never implemented such 10-20% rule. Am I allowing 20% of emotional eating? this is the first question.

The last point is I have a dramatic sweet tooth and sugar sensibility. A white bread sandwich is enough to numb(..sedate!) me and a sweet orange could trigger my sugar needs (I eat fruits anyway of course, but I notice it). I don't want that 20% to trigger my sugar cravings, that's why I still ignore that rule, quite reasonably I guess...
  • saragetsfit13
    saragetsfit13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    LOL Margojr4!
  • saragetsfit13
    Options
    I never crave unhealthy food for the "gusto" of these foods, usually it is an emotional hunger in some moments.

Yup same here! Also, I believe that sugar intake triggers more sugar cravings, however I think the moderation mentality is better that the all-or-nothing dieting attitude.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yup. This is binge-eating disorder...I struggled with it for a year and a half. I got over it by stopping counting calories, recording what I ate & for two/three months I tried to eat like a normal person, eating what I wanted so I therefore didn't feel deprived and wouldn't 'make up' for the restriction with a 2-day binge-fest! It worked. I don't have that problem any more.

But it could come back.

I'm up half a stone and I still have an ultimate dream goal weight of 120, I'm currently 134, at 5'5.

So lost...I don't think I know how to eat healthily while also including 'bad' foods. I only know how to eat really well, OR eat normally (including balanced amounts of healthy food and crappy junk food)
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Great article. I have definitely struggled with all or none in dieting. It's the reason that I kept losing then gaining, losing then gaining . . . . This time I just told myselft to keep plugging away -- even when I ate unhealthy -- to just revert back to what I had been doing. It has worked so far. Most of the battle is in our heads.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I never crave unhealthy food for the "gusto" of these foods, usually it is an emotional hunger in some moments.

Yup same here! Also, I believe that sugar intake triggers more sugar cravings, however I think the moderation mentality is better that the all-or-nothing dieting attitude.

Rather than accept one is better over the other, why not work with who you are. I am all or nothing and I don't try to fit into something I am not. I have tried the moderation approach for years and years and all I did was fail. Since embracing all or nothing eating (who I am)and adapting it to fit my goals, I have finally got control of my eating and I am taking my body to new levels. I will continue to get better. I will reach my goals. I will still eat 1/2 gallon of ice cream If I choose. ;)
  • vikkibaptie
    vikkibaptie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This may be tough to accept, but alcohol is not an essential nutrient. Its risks can swiftly trump its benefits if it’s consumed in excess, so it falls into the discretionary category."

I fell foul to this one at the weekend... had people over for a BBQ with the thought of 'I'll just have a couple of cans of cider'. This turned out to be 6 cans of cider (over the whole day) and 1100 calories!! Never mind all of the BBQ food... I did step up my exercise in anticipation and was still under my calorie goal overall for the week so I guess I managed it as well as I could.

I am trying to get away from the good food and bad food thing too so I guess something like this all becomes part of how you want your lifestyle to be, if it's contained to the weekend and not in too much excess then it's fine with me and I guess that's all that matters :happy:
  • saragetsfit13
    Options
    Great article. I have definitely struggled with all or none in dieting. It's the reason that I kept losing then gaining, losing then gaining . . . . This time I just told myselft to keep plugging away -- even when I ate unhealthy -- to just revert back to what I had been doing. It has worked so far. Most of the battle is in our heads.

I hear you! Keep pushing :)
  • saragetsfit13
    Options
    Rather than accept one is better over the other, why not work with who you are. I am all or nothing and I don't try to fit into something I am not. I have tried the moderation approach for years and years and all I did was fail. Since embracing all or nothing eating (who I am)and adapting it to fit my goals, I have finally got control of my eating and I am taking my body to new levels. I will continue to get better. I will reach my goals. I will still eat 1/2 gallon of ice cream If I choose. ;)

Glad that its working for you! As for me, I feel it destroys my dieting efforts
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump for when i get off work! i need to read this
  • fitforlifeee
    Options
    Story of my life :(
  • buckeyetex315
    buckeyetex315 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't the binge problem so much as I would just overeat in general. On the topic of the good food / bad food though, I learned a good lesson over the last year through my diabetic nutrition counseling.

The counseling taught me that no food is really off limits to me, I just need to work it into my daily calorie and carbohydrate goals. This was one of the hardest things to get people around me to understand - I could eat any food, I just need to do so in moderation. Very similar concept to the very good article referenced.

If I want to have some ice cream, or a couple of small pieces of candy, I learned that I should do so within reason. What I try to do is plan ahead for the day so that I have the option to have a small treat so that I'm not surprised.