What to do with a slab of tofu

Options
I want to try tofu but really have no idea what to buy or how to prep. it. Any really great ideas?

Also....

How about fresh eggplant.

Replies

• gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I want to try tofu but really have no idea what to buy or how to prep. it. Any really great ideas?

Also....

How about fresh eggplant.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can get "Lite" tofu now, I get it at my local grocery store. I basically cube the slab into 12 or so pieces, then spray a pan with Pam and sautee the tofu. Add carrots and onions, and sautee together. Add curry sauce and simmer until the carrots and onions are cooked.

Serve over brown rice.
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    There's alot you can do with tofu!
    I used to cut it in half width-wise and marinade it.
    Then I would either grill it or saute it. you can then make
    a sandwich with it or you can cut it up and add to stir-fry.
    you can cut it into strips and make fajitas, you can
    toss it with salad. There are a ton of ways to make tofu tasty!
  • julara
    julara Posts: 9
    Options
    what kind of marinade do you use on your tofu?
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    my favorite is a tofu smoothie.

1-2 servings of lite tofu
    1 ripe banana
    1 cup frozen berries or peaches or both:wink:
    water to thin out to desired consistancy

I like it extra thick with a dollop of FF cool whip. My kids beg me to make this. That's how good this is!

:flowerforyou:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    what kind of marinade do you use on your tofu?

You can use any kind of marinade you like. But of course an Asian marinage is the best.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    There are a ton of things you can do with tofu. It depends on the brand of tofu and the consistency --- soft, firm, extra firm and what you want to do with it.

I really like Trader Joe's brand tofu extra firm for soups and stir fry. I don't have to press it (which I do with all other firm tofu). I also like white wave (? --- I'd know it if I see it) brand.

To press it I take the tofu and slice it in half so I have two long thiner pieces. I then stick it between a clean dishtowel and put a few cookbooks on it for about 10-20 minutes. When I stir fry, I use a little toasted sesame oil. Not only does it taste good, it also doesn't tend to burn off as fast as olive oil.

Fantastic products sells a tofu scrambler that is OK by itself, but wonderfully delicious if it is dressed up. I like to press it, then crumble it with a fork. I cook it with some chopped up spinach, tomato, garlic and maybe some peppers. I then top it off with a little feta and maybe some green olives. Yum!

I have a coconut curry soup recipe that I usually add tofu to as well. I'd be happy to post it if you would like. Let me know.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to eat this all the time at a local vegan restaurant that was in town. Soooo yummy! That's one of the advantanges of tofu--it takes on the flavors of the things you cook it with.

VEGAN GREEK SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1 container of firmtofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
    3 tomatoes, sliced
    3 cucumbers, sliced
    1/2 red onion, diced
    1/2 cup fresh black olives
    PREPARATION:
    Whisk together the olive oil, wine vinegar, salt, basil, black pepper, and oregano. Pour this mixture over the tofu and marinate for at least an hour.
    Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and olives and gently combine well.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This is a family favorite in my house...

1 box Amy's organic mac n cheese (any flavor, we usually get white cheddar and shells)
    1/2 cup (or so) fat free cottage cheese
    1 block extra firm tofu (we freeze it and then thaw it out before we use it. It changes the texture a little)
    1 grilled chicken breast (or 1 cup leftover roasted white meat chicken)
    2-3 cups steamed veggies (whatever kind you like)

Make the pasta according to directions. Drain and mix with cottage cheese. Add cheese sauce packet. Drain tofu ( I microwave it for about 20 seconds too, to dry it out a little more. My family really doesn't like wet tofu). Dice chicken and cut up veggies (we have to cut up small for the baby, but you could probably just leave them big) and cut tofu into cubes. Mix everything together and ta-da! We eat this for a couple days, because once you add all the stuff to the mac and cheese, it makes a HUGE meal.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    How about putting it on a black eye.....