Elliptical or Running?

Options
Okay so I need some opinions- is the elliptical really good for you? Is it as effective as running? I have been doing the elliptical a lot lately for 30-50 minutes a day 5 days a week and mixing in some weigth training too. I have been keeping my cals under 1200 for the past 3 weeks with the exception of a couple weekend days- and I have only lost 4lbs and I don't feel very much thinner/stronger at all.

I feel like the elliptical isn't really as good as running because even though my HR is up and I am sweating like a pig I can do the elliptical forever without getting tired as opposed to running where I get so tired and have to walk.

Does anybody else feel like the elliptical machine is NOT very effective? Ideas/suggestions of other cardio workouts? Thanks!!

Replies

• kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I get bored with cardio so I do HIIT cardio; it burns fat quicker. http://www.livestrong.com/article/394443-hiit-workouts-for-the-treadmill/
  • saun5870
    saun5870 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks! good to know. When I run on the treadmill I always do HIIT because I get SO bored just running one pace. I feel like it does way more than elliptical even in half the time... guess I will try it out because I am not getting results with the elliptical!
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the information!
  • cassimus
    cassimus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your calories after work outs? Maybe you aren't eating enough and thats why you arent losing!

With that said I like the elliptical better because I find I can also work out my arms.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    Running is always going to be better than the eliptical for effort/calorie burn. It's more taxing on your body, for sure. If you have joint problems or something of the like, mix the two, but if you feel good running I would go with that. You'll burn twice the cals running than you will on the eliptical in the same given time-period.
  • JuliesS82
    JuliesS82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Both are good- one isn't better or worse than the other.
    Running will burn more calories but the elliptical has good qualities too.
    No reason why you can't use both!

I'm a runner and recently a running magazine I subscribe to did an article on the value of the elliptical.
    If you're interested, just visit the Runner's World website and search.

AND I have to 2nd Kierstin's suggestions--- studies show intervals are the best burners.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I like to run, get outside and just get lost in your zone.
  • saun5870
    saun5870 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, the reason I like the elliptical is because I can read on my kindle and I don't get so bored. I get bored running the same speed & long distances because I can never find any headphones that will stay in my darn ears!!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Thanks guys, the reason I like the elliptical is because I can read on my kindle and I don't get so bored. I get bored running the same speed & long distances because I can never find any headphones that will stay in my darn ears!!

I had that earbud problem too! I found these fairly cheap, hook-behind-your-ear ones that don't fall out though - maybe invest in a pair of those? The hook reduces the strain on the wire pulling on the actual earbud itself = no more falling out! (:
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of machines to workout with. Your body is all you need. I prefer to run outside. It also helps me push myself harder and set goals for myself. I also feel like im going mo where on a machine so I prefer the every hanging scenery of the outdoors. =)
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    I do both but i enjoy the elliptical more. I like to crank up the resistance and really tone my lower body.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think both are good, my other half is in the navy and they do a lot of cardio with elliptical machines just to give their joints a break.
    It's the same movement with less stress on the joints, I'm sure they equate to almost the same effectiveness. When I was a lot heavier, I could only use the elliptical because running hurt my knees and ankles too much.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used the elliptical for a while because it's easier on the knees and Ive had three surgeries. But something about running just makes me feel like im doing more and getting a better workout
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    depends on the situation...when i travel and stay at hotels i take advantage of the elliptical; when i am at home or visiting friends i feel the need to get out and run the trails....
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical but the treadmill keeps me honest. So for the last 2-3 months I haven't used the elliptical.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm biased - get me outside and running and I'm happy, happy, happy. Put me on a machine in the gym and I'm bored out of my skull.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm biased - get me outside and running and I'm happy, happy, happy. Put me on a machine in the gym and I'm bored out of my skull.

this time elebenty
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1200 a day. (thats what everyone around here says) Anyway, I find running to be way more beneficial. When I had a gym membership, I always got on the elliptical or bike. I could work up a sweat, but I found it took forever to make me tired (like you) and burn calories. I could run 20 min and burn the same # of calories I could with 40 min on an elliptical. Plus, I think running involves more muscles :-)
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but my Personal Trainer said the elliptical is better on your joints and gives almost the same workout. However, running uses more of the muscles to carry you further so it will burn more than the elliptical.

I use the elliptical because I have bad hips and it takes the strain off of them, compared to running.

For cardio, I do the classes at my gym. They have a step up aerobics which I love and a kickboxing cardio which i'm not fond of but will do if I have my workout buddies there. I hear spin classes are crazy good for cardio but I haven't been brave enough to tackle that yet!

You just gotta find what works for you!
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i love the elliptical rather than running