Stevia-natures own 0 calorie sweetener

Options
Anyone using Truvia or something similar? I love it!
Ii doesn't contain anything artificial like aspartame.( Well it does have dextrose)
I like to make my own lemonade with this.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ii doesn't contain anything artificial like aspartame.( Well it does have dextrose)

"Truvia is a stevia-based sugar substitute developed jointly by The Coca Cola Company and Cargill" - that one ?

mmmm, erythritol.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

"Truvia is a stevia-based sugar substitute developed jointly by The Coca Cola Company and Cargill" - that one ?

mmmm, erythritol.

:laugh:
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    I only use Stevia. In drops.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia, but not truvia.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I use and enjoy Stevia, it grows in my garden just fine.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have it growing in my garden also. I just haven't figured out how to use it as a sweetener. Lol
    Does it just get crushed in things like I do mint for my mojitos?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think Truvia and Stevia both taste pretty awful. A teaspoon of granulated sugar is only 15 calories. In my opinion, if you are eating so much added sugar that calories from sugar become a concern, chances are you should be looking at why you are eating so many sweetened food/drinks with added sugars and not looking for zero calorie sweeteners.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes like crap, so no.
  • amossberg
    amossberg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This.
    I think Truvia and Stevia both taste pretty awful. A teaspoon of granulated sugar is only 15 calories. In my opinion, if you are eating so much added sugar that calories from sugar become a concern, chances are you should be looking at why you are eating so many sweetened food/drinks with added sugars and not looking for zero calorie sweeteners.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

This.

I'll take real sugar.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like it but haven't baked with it.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I want to try the stevia drops. I tried the truvia powder before and it was just nasty. Anyone recommend a good brand of the drops and where to get it cheap? Thanks
  • happyclappy36
    Options
    I was given some Truvia to try out for my blog and it tasted just like sugar in my cooking - I'll definitely use it again. It also has a great toffee smell.

(After reading the above responses) Don't buy into the whole 'additives are bad for you' trend that's flying around at the moment. It's simply not true.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I bought a box of Stevia in the Raw. I tried oatmeal with 2 packets in it. Nasty stuff. I threw the rest of the box in the garbage. :sick:
  • klc65
    klc65 Posts: 9
    Options

I drink mostly water all day. I do like diet coke and have cut down to about 1-2 a week. So not really a problem with consuming sweetened food or drink.
    Thanks for your input.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I think Truvia tastes ok but I can't deal with the taste of stevia. I even bought some vanilla creme liquid stevia and don't like that either. I don't like any other artificial sweetener either except for Splenda, just don't like the aftertaste of the rest of them. I don't use splenda very often, just in an occasional iced tea.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I want to try the stevia drops. I tried the truvia powder before and it was just nasty. Anyone recommend a good brand of the drops and where to get it cheap? Thanks

It was pretty cheap on www.iherb.com I thought. If you buy $20 and are in US it's free shipping. Also, you can get a $5 coupon from anyone that's ordered from their site before. What did you not like about the truvia? To me it doesn't have any aftertaste, the drops and regular stevia are very bitter/weird aftertaste to me.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people swear by it, but I can't stand the taste. My sister loves it and made me try it. I tried some in unsweetened yogurt and some in a recipe. I had to throw both out because I couldn't choke them down. I actually don't even think it's especially sweet, just kind of metallic.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've had Truvia...I don't think it tastes any better than aspartame.

To be honest...I'd much rather limit my intake of fake ingredients. Yes I know "Stevia is all natural"....but it's still intended to be a replacement. There's no way I'm going to end up sticking to a diet where I have to replace everything I enjoy with something that doesn't taste nearly as good.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    Yes I know "Stevia is all natural"....but it's still intended to be a replacement. There's no way I'm going to end up sticking to a diet where I have to replace everything I enjoy with something that doesn't taste nearly as good.
    good point... and i agree, but i still need a sweety treaty on occasion