BMI Standards

Options
Hello everyone!

Well I am not necessarily new to this site, but I am new to interacting with everyone. I just found out today about the myfitnesspal BMI and BMR tables... I did it and was surprised at the weights it wanted you to reach...I am prior military, and am trying to get back into shape again. I knew my weight limits for years, and now this thing tells me that according to my healthy military weight I was fat. I think in some things for this site, they should not go by the average weight person who is not athletic or has a larger size frame. I have always had a large size frame and being tall, I was happy weight 205 in the summer and 209 in the winter, I was considered healthy by every doctor I came across. So I was wondering as I am trying to lose my weight which I have done 26 pounds so far this year I believe!!! is there a way to change the standards or am I the only person who notices these things. If I am excuse my rant and go along, but if not, what things to do you find that are different on this site?

Replies

• xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the BMI charts, that's why I never look at them. It all depends on your muscle and body fat. I don't know how to change them, I've never tried but I know you can adjust a few things under the goals sections.
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    The BMI charts are quite old but the health insurance companies do pay attention to them. For my own personal goals, I pay more attention to my body fat percentage. Even when I reach my goal, I'll still be classified as overweight according to BMI, but I should be to the low end of healthy in terms of body fat.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    BMI is more for individuals who have a lot to lose and are mostly body fat. For those with muscle or larger frames, body fat percentage is the way to go. You can have it measured for you at most gyms, or your doctor can do it for you. I've had it done before and it's pretty interesting. They hook up a few electrodes to you and it sends a current through your body that measures conductivity and the printout tells you what percent of your body is muscle/organs/bone and then what percent is fat. More reliable than BMI, I think because it accounts for you solely, and not the nation's averages.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You're right, bmi only is a ratio of your weight and your height. It does not take into account any other information. By its standards, people with a lot of muscle mass would be considered obese due to their heavy weight. That being said, it's not a totally useless number as it does give a benchmark that works for a pretty decent percentage of the population. I used to use that same argument myself, thinking it was impossible for me to get to those numbers (now I'm 8 lbs below the top end of the "normal" range). Pay attention to how you look in the mirror & how your clothes fit. Be honest with yourself. If you have the tools available to you, have your body fat percentage measured. Take picutres of yourself and track your progress. Bmi is only one of many diffent tools that you can use to measure your success.
  • chriscroce
    Options
    Well I appreciate the responses... and by the looks of it, you all are doing great as well. I thank you for your input. I will keep your inputs with me. IF there are any tips you have for losing more weight so I dont level off please share them with me. I can use them. I have a lot more weight I would like to lose, and Im sure with everyones input I can learn more techniques. Again thank you all very much.