Orthotics - to wear or not to wear?

Options
I had been training for a marathon and a couple of months before the event I started getting foot pain on the top of my left foot. I changed my lacing pattern and loosened the laces but the pain continued to get worse. Then about 3 weeks before the event I developed knee pain just below and to the outside of my right knee. I managed to complete the marathon but was in quite a bit of pain for most of the race. Anyhow, my pod. says that the foot pain is an overuse injury and he sent me to get Foot Soldier orthotics and told me to come back in 6 weeks. I've been wearing the orthotics (1 day) but am wondering if they are necessary. I don't overpronate and have normal arches. What do you think of my pod. recommendation? Couldn't I just buy a more cushioned running shoe? I really don't want to have to mess with orthotics if they aren't necessary. Thanks.

Replies

• seribel
    Options
    From my understanding, orthodics are more than just for people who overpronate and have high arches. I would say if you have the orthodics, wear them whenever you can. Wouldn't you rather mess with orthodics now then have the wear a knee brace later? It's a preventative measure so that you don't end up with an injury.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you already have them you might as well give them a shot and see how it goes.
    I have a pair that I wear in my everyday shoes but not in my running shoes, just because I am lazy. Also, I have never really had any leg or joint pain. I do sometimes get pains in my neck and shoulder when I run and I have been told that would be eliminated if I wore the orthoidics in my shoes ... so I guess I really should take my own advice and try it :laugh:
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    i would wear them... better to be safe than sorry.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on running the marathon! Im about to start my training next month.

As far as orthotics go...I just got some for my running shoes and LOVE them. I was having foot pain as well, and so far they have been great for relieving the pain. My pod. told me I don't pronate but it turns out that I do. Sometimes extremely cushioned shoes are damaging too due to the lack of support they provide (or at least that is what I hear from other runners). My suggestion would be to try them out...I really like mine thus far. What type of running shoe are you wearing? Another member suggested www.roadrunnersports.com, and I checked it out. You type in the dynamics of your foot and it suggests shoes and turns out they suggested the shoe I wear!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did try them and it only took two or three days to get used to them. Even though I still have foot pain I am able to run with the orthotics in my shoes! It's nice to be able to run again.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Arch support is a good thing, and reduces a lot of strain on the foot and body. :)
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I work in a podiatry clinic and personally use orthotics for foot and knee pain which I love. Some companies make great orthotics and some make bad ones. Did they cast your feet for them? Remember too that you should work your way into them. We usually recommend an hour the first day and increase by an hour. Once you get to 8 hours you can wear them all day. Don't try running in them until you're at that point. They shouldn't cause more problems and should really help!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Question for you: How long can you wear the same orthotics before having to have them either re-furbished or have to get new ones? I've had mine since 2006 and practically live in them. I definitely need them for pronation but wonder how effective they are after all this time. My PD says they can last practically forever, but I'm not so sure, considering that I use them constantly.

Thanks!
    S.
    I work in a podiatry clinic and personally use orthotics for foot and knee pain which I love. Some companies make great orthotics and some make bad ones. Did they cast your feet for them? Remember too that you should work your way into them. We usually recommend an hour the first day and increase by an hour. Once you get to 8 hours you can wear them all day. Don't try running in them until you're at that point. They shouldn't cause more problems and should really help!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Question for you: How long can you wear the same orthotics before having to have them either re-furbished or have to get new ones? I've had mine since 2006 and practically live in them. I definitely need them for pronation but wonder how effective they are after all this time. My PD says they can last practically forever, but I'm not so sure, considering that I use them constantly.

Thanks!
    S.

If you're not having any pain than the orthotics themselves are still great. YOu only need to replace them if you're having pain (which means you should see a podiatrist to be recasted) or if they crack. If you have any padding (top cover) or heel posting you should get it refurbished every 6 months to 1 year or as needed. I like my cusioning so I redo mine every 6 months or so
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options

If you're not having any pain than the orthotics themselves are still great. YOu only need to replace them if you're having pain (which means you should see a podiatrist to be recasted) or if they crack. If you have any padding (top cover) or heel posting you should get it refurbished every 6 months to 1 year or as needed. I like my cusioning so I redo mine every 6 months or so

Thanks for this. I have had heel pain but am not sure if it's orthotics or overtraining in ballet. I do get my sneakers replaced every six months though, because I live in those, as well. The heel pain is only in the mornings, or when I've been not moving my feet for a while. I use a pro-stretch for the heels.
  • 00Angela00
    Options

Thanks for this. I have had heel pain but am not sure if it's orthotics or overtraining in ballet. I do get my sneakers replaced every six months though, because I live in those, as well. The heel pain is only in the mornings, or when I've been not moving my feet for a while. I use a pro-stretch for the heels.

Reseach plantar fasciitis or see someone for it. Sounds like pretty common signs ...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Orthotics keep your whole body in alignment. Remember that they are not just for your feet. Back pain and knee pain can originate dow in your feet so if you were casted for custom orthotics I would DEFINITELY wear them.

They are made out of some pretty durable materials so they shouldn't have to be replaced unless you notice wear on the actual orthotic or if you are having pain.