I'M SCREWED - CARDIO IDEAS??

Options
I have two injured ankles, but I NEED to get some cardio in, especially after having over eaten today.

I have an elliptical but even that is agitating and causing more swelling.

I feel like for the next week I'll be stuck with crunches/reverse and girl push ups, which aren't going to burn the calories I need to burn
Any one know anything.?

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Swim
  • KevinNewton
    Options
    Do some research on barbell complex's if you have access to that type of equipment, If ankles are bothering you theres way to do them seated if need be. That will help get that heart rate up.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Get a hand peddled recumbent bike.
  • edaaff
    edaaff Posts: 15
    Options
    Swim
    good idea. But there are no public pools around where I live, closet thing is a little beach, but that's still a 20minute drive.
    Might have to make the sacrifice in gas
  • edaaff
    Options

umm you mean like a spin bike? or is this something completely different
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    swimming is perfect. Cycling is almost perfect (as long as you aren't clipped in)
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Seated boxing?
  • redhousecat
    Options
    oh, and battling ropes.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are some Wii games that you can do that does not require you to use your feet. Like Wii boxing.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    shadow boxing will destroy you. one of the biggest loser contestants a couple seasons ago injured his knee and lost FORTY pounds shadow boxing. i bet youtube has a bunch of videos you can follow.
  • judith3horns
    Options
    punches, definitely. Do them from a squatting position, but if that's too painful, you can sit, just move fast!
  • edaaff
    Options
    shadow boxing will destroy you. one of the biggest loser contestants a couple seasons ago injured his knee and lost FORTY pounds shadow boxing. i bet youtube has a bunch of videos you can follow.

Ill have to check that out! and I can do it along to my favorite fiona apple song "shadow boxer" ;D
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Seated boxing?

/\ /\ this /\ /\
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I second any kind of boxing. Its amazing how many calories I burn punching the air.
  • jwoffindin
    jwoffindin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Boxing will give you absolutely great cardio workout if you've access to a bag & some gloves... there's a reason boxing rounds are "only" 3 minutes :-)

Also, I'm no physio, but maybe taping your ankles during boxing may prevent further injury while still allowing you to get a good cardio session in.
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    They all beat me too it! YES....punches! Good luck and hope your ankles heal quickly!
  • meko1975
    meko1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I purchased an inexpensive peddle bike on home shopping network.

Here is the link http://www.hsn.com/health-fitness/stamina-instride-adjustable-height-cycle_p-6622509_xp.aspx. It was 38.00 plus shipping but I live in Alaska so shipping was a bit more. I placed this on a table and used this while I wasn't able to workout with my lower body due to tendonitis in my hips. You could give this a try? Good luck!
  • jallison12
    jallison12 Posts: 83
    Options
    I've done step machine with a twisted ankle and creaky knees. Zero impact and if you keep you feet flat on the platform your ankle does not flex much. With good ankles I did a 30 min (max allowed on machine) then a 20 min and burned 1003 cals on Friday
    I gave myself a ^5

Like this one:
    http://www.weighttrainingmachine.com/star-trac-pro-series-stepper

Or what about rowing?

Edit: I should have asked if you were in a gym, duh! Sorry.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

umm you mean like a spin bike? or is this something completely different

r081218150115hand_bike.jpg
  • redhousecat
    Options
    when I was learning real boxing, foot movement was crucial. One would think that would adversely affect weak ankles.