Calories burned HRM

Options
cbeutler
cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
I use a Polar HRM to estimate cardio burns. According to Polar the number the unit kicks out is my total calorie burn (RMR + activity). My question is when I enter this number into MFP does the application deduct their estimate of my RMR from the number when calculating my net, and calories remaining? Or do I need to deduct some number per hour from what I type in?

In my case the number would be like 114/hr so if I exercise 10 hours a week I'd be double counting over 1000 calories per week.

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I too am curious about this...
  • spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this as well. Personally I deduct some calories off the burn estimate just in case, and the amount I deduct depends on the amount of time I've spent exercising. But I don't know the answer to this, so I too would like to know!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't subtract the cals you would have burnt if you were just sitting on the couch, so if you want to try to be more accurate you could subtract these numbers before you enter your exercise.

Frankly though, I've never bothered! All the numbers we are working with are estimates (food, exercise, calorie allowance) so I think that all you can do is pick one system, try it for a month and change things around after that if you need to.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ruby