late night snack?

Options
I typically get really hungry at night; my college student age/ job as a waitress means that I'm often working until restaurant closing at 2am, so my sleep schedules are kind of messed up and I'm frequently up late. Around elevenish I find myself becoming increasingly hungry, so i'm curious, is late night snacking really that bad for your diet? Are there any certain foods I should be specifically avoiding at this time of night? Any that are good for us night owls?

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You could always grab some nuts or peanut butter if the calories are allowed. I work 3-11 so I eat late at night tooand I seem to still be losing weight so no I don't think its that bad on a diet.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    I think people say its bad to eat late because of the time you sleep. I think a 11pm snack is fine for you! Try to get maybe some veggies and hummus, salad or apple and PB.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was once told to eat cottage cheese, it has "casein" (type of protein) that is digested slowly and helps keep blood sugar stable overnight...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever food makes you feel good and fits into your calorie and macro allowance for the day.

There is no right or wrong answer about different foods and time of day, you just have to experiment to see what suits you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever food makes you feel good and fits into your calorie and macro allowance for the day.

There is no right or wrong answer about different foods and time of day, you just have to experiment to see what suits you.

^ This.

oh and also
    You could always grab some nuts

giggity
  • clairebear9123
    clairebear9123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating late is not at all bad for you. It is known as a myth to eat late because the late night snack is considered the "fifth meal". If you wake up around lunch time and consider that your breakfast meal (with only 2 more meals and healthy snacks between) then you are fine. It's all about using the calories you have to eat healthy and not overly consuming. Also, lacking in sleep will make you gain weight, so make sure if you are staying up that late to wake up later and get a good 6-8 hours in!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    11 o'clock is not really a late night snack for you - you'll be up hours after that.

But even if you weren't, much of what I've heard indicates that eating right before bed does not affect weight loss - staying in your calorie allowance is the thing to focus on.

ETA - and sometimes having an easily-digestible snack before bed helps you fall asleep better.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    What the others said. Eat whatever you want late as long as it fits in your calorie goals. I use to work 1-9 a lot so I would sleep in, eat something before work, have lunch during my scheduled lunch then eat dinner when I got home from work around 930/10 and went to sleep after. I still lost weight its totally fine!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I typically get really hungry at night; my college student age/ job as a waitress means that I'm often working until restaurant closing at 2am, so my sleep schedules are kind of messed up and I'm frequently up late. Around elevenish I find myself becoming increasingly hungry, so i'm curious, is late night snacking really that bad for your diet? Are there any certain foods I should be specifically avoiding at this time of night? Any that are good for us night owls?
    Most important to log and then see what your net intake is. Higher protein in your diet is most satisfying...I just ate some hulled roasted unsalted sunflower seeds...just a small amount...about 100cals. Now it's bedtime:yawn: Night!
  • queenofheartz44
    queenofheartz44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Phew! I always have a late night snack attack usually for something sweet. I keep an eye on my calories though and don't go over and if I do it's never by much. My snack is generally a yogurt cup :-)