Protein Shakes?

Options
Have any of you used protein shakes, and if so, what brands do you recommend? I'm struggling to get my protein in without going over calories and was told shakes might be a good choice for me. I'm hoping for something with 2-3 g of sugar or less. :D

PS. My goal is 60-80 g of nutritional protein per day while staying within my 1400 cal restriction. Thanks!

Replies

• restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have not use very many most protein powerd is not gulten free. So I use body fortress I can buy it in the supermarket (savemart) its about $16 for 27 shakes. I love it
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use Cytosport Whey protein from Costco. It has 3 carbs, 3 fats and 27 proteins in each scoop. Sometimes I mix with chocolate milk or orange juice.

Try Greek yogurt. Fage brand has 9 carbs, 0 fat, 23 protein per cup. I eat with fresh fruit.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I'd love to find a protein powder that doesn't taste horrible.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever tried the premixed shakes you can buy in the store but I have noticed the calorie/protein count of them is about the same as protein bars. I used to eat those with some yogurt for breakfast. What I would suggest is making them yourself. I have snooped through the recipes message boards and gone to dashingdish.com and I have come up with about 5 pages worth of protein shake recipes.

It is cheaper to make them yourself AND you have more control over how many calories and protein you are getting. The one I made this morning is rated at 187 calories, 35 g protein and 3g sugar (http://dashingdish.com/recipe/cake-batter-protein-shake/)

Now keep in mind each protein powder will have a different amount of calories too. But the powders can be mixed with coffee, yogurt, etc as well as made into a protein shake.
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I use nnw with water and ice in a blender. Cinnamon bun and chocolate peanutbutter are my faves. They are 100% whey which is supposed to support weight loss.
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    Options
    I mix Vanilla Spirutein into my berry smoothies and it is tasty!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried it yet, Body Fortress is actually pretty good (at least IMO). My favorite is the chocolate peanut butter flavor - even just mixed with water it doesn't taste bad. It's got more than the 3g of sugars the OP asked for, but 52g protein per serving (2 scoops.)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate + almond milk tastes like chocolate milk. It's deliciouuussss.
  • long_smiles
    long_smiles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Lifesource whey protein.
  • win4ecu
    win4ecu Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like Atkins Advantage Dark Chocolate Royale. I have one at least everyday.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is the best, in my opinion.

:)
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried it yet, Body Fortress is actually pretty good (at least IMO). My favorite is the chocolate peanut butter flavor - even just mixed with water it doesn't taste bad. It's got more than the 3g of sugars the OP asked for, but 52g protein per serving (2 scoops.)

it has 2g of sugar per scoop
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The Dymatize Elite Gourmet are 125 calories per scoop, 21g of protein and 0g sugar per 32g scoop of powder. They're not bad. The GNC 100% Egg Protein is similar for a 35g scoop, but 460 mg of sodium (that combined with the fact that I think it has a weird consistency means I won't buy that one again).

Personally, I like the BSN Syntha-6 line, they mix nicely and have good taste, but they're higher calories per serving - a 44g scoop is 200 calories and 22g of protein.

If you're worried about having too many calories in your shake, you can use almond milk instead of cow's milk (35 calories per cup of unsweetened almond milk vs. 85-ish calories for a cup of skim). Or you can mix it with fat free, plain greek yogurt and get a double whammy of protein (speaking of which, this would be another good way to get your protein in. 140 calories, but 23-ish grams of protein per serving, depending on the brand).
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate + almond milk tastes like chocolate milk. It's deliciouuussss.

^^this, but I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Extreme Milk Chocolate + coconut milk (though almond milk would probably taste better)
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I have been using Muscle Milk Light, is has a lot of protein, and lower in carbs and sugars than most! The ones premixed in the bottle taste the best, but can be a little pricey, so I also use the Muscle Milk Light chocolate powder, and drink the bottles as a treat.
    Another is Oh Yeah! (both vanilla creme and chocolate are really good), a little more in calories and carbs, but has a great taste, so it is good as a meal replacement or add with a salad. If you go to Muscle Milks webpage you can print a coupon too!
    Hope you try them as they are better than Atkins and Slimfast (which has a ton of carbs!)

Good Luck,
    Ivy
  • mtnbobbie
    mtnbobbie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use PURE PROTEIN whey protein 25g 140 cal. 2g sugar
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    it has 2g of sugar per scoop
    Actually, you're right - I just went and looked at the label. 7g carbs, 2g sugars. My error, I just looked at my food log and checked the total carb count before my first post.

I've heard a lot of people say that Optimum Nutrition is good too, but haven't tried it yet.
  • abbykathleen
    Options
    Body Fortress from Walmart is great and super affordable. I love the vanilla, which I put with skim or 1% milk in a blender and add frozen fruit. You can even add peanut butter for more protein. It's a great way to get protein, calcium, and natural sugars from the fruit in a delicious milkshake without the fattening cream and sugar. You can also add Sugar Free chocolate syrup, and it's like having two flavors for one! I don't like the taste much with just water, but I think it's great in milk. I usually drink a serving (or two!) after my tough strength training days, and it really helps my muscles rebuild so I'm less sore the next day.

Some great flavor combos are chocolate banana, mixed berry (raspberry, blueberry, strawberry), mango kiwi, and blueberry peach.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Ready to Drink Shakes.
    170 calories and 35 grams of protein.

I'm not a fan of the powder flavours... They taste fake.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I use a rice protein that is vegan and Jarrow formula makes it...2 TBS has 12 grams of protein and 55 calories - which isn't a lot, but it's very gentle on the system and gluten free.