Bread Replacements...

Options
ChelleFeegan
ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
Anyone? I love sandwiches and as we are finally hitting BBQ weather in the UK I could really do with some substitutes?

What do you use instead of bread?

X

Replies

• FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    At my Market Basket they have brand new stuff - Joseph's Flat bread. 100 calories each. Comes in all different kinds; garlic & herb, tomato, honey, wheat.

Before that I would use the Joseph's flax seed flat bread and roll ups (around 100 cals each also) or the pita pockets.

If I eat ANY bread its always multi grain or wheat though.
  • ShaunnaTroop
    Options
    Orowheat Sandwich Thins. Only a 100 calories and they hold up just as good as bread. I even use them instead of a bun for Turkey Burgers.
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We use light brown rice bread. Works pretty well!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I use flatbread or pita bread. Unless you are trying to low-carb then there isn't any reason to cut out all bread. What you want to change is eating refined flour. Find breads where the primary ingredient is "stone ground whole wheat". My favorite flat bread is Flat-Out brand (http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/). For bread I use generic store-brand because they were the ones with the stone-ground whole wheat. I also like Cobblestone Mill wheat subs. I will sometimes have a bagel for breakfast and there was only one brand that used whole grain but unfortunately I cannot remember which it was and I threw away the packaging this morning. I think it was Nature's Own but I'm not positive.

If you are set on not eating bread (/carbs) then just eat the meat plain. I eat my hamburgers like a steak or meatloaf if I can't afford the bread calories. Or you could eat chicken on top of a salad. Another barbecue idea would be shish-kabobs; meat & vegetables (and even fruit. Yum pineapples!).

Hope this helps!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I can't do gluten. Use leaf lettuce. It's big and has a crunch. I make wraps with it. Chop whatever is going on your sandwich up and wrap it. You will have the fanciest look handheld food there.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    At my Market Basket they have brand new stuff - Joseph's Flat bread. 100 calories each. Comes in all different kinds; garlic & herb, tomato, honey, wheat.

Before that I would use the Joseph's flax seed flat bread and roll ups (around 100 cals each also) or the pita pockets.

If I eat ANY bread its always multi grain or wheat though.

I love Joseph's! I just found it last week and I'm hooked....definitely worth a try!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Use leaf lettuce. It's big and has a crunch. I make wraps with it. Chop whatever is going on your sandwich up and wrap it. You will have the fanciest look handheld food there.

Forgot about that! Also a great idea!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I bought some rice cakes yesterday. They are a little bit flimsy, but at 35 calories per cake they work ok as a substitute for toast or crackers.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Lavash Bread Sheets....Only 50 Calories per serving which is usually 1/2 a huge sheet. They make the best wraps.
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Use Lettuce leaves or Pita bread. Yum, yum!
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    Options
    I use sprouted grain products now. Tortillas, english muffins, bread, etc.- I really like Ezekiel and Alvarado Street brands.
  • long_smiles
    long_smiles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We use lettace leaf or sprouted grain bread like eziekel. Sometimes Ill use a brown rice tortilla or brown rice cake. IF Im in a hurry I'll just wrap the meat around some cheese or avocado and go.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    My main go to is wraps, but I have pitas on occasion. I rarely eat slices of bread, but I do have subway or a bun from time to time... buns are a treat though....

ETA - my wraps are no more than 80 cals each I should add.
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    I can't do gluten. Use leaf lettuce. It's big and has a crunch. I make wraps with it. Chop whatever is going on your sandwich up and wrap it. You will have the fanciest look handheld food there.

So true! And it taste great. this is coming from a salad hating bread addict. I love to use romaine and make tacos or wraps
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We have something called Mountain Bread here in Australia - not sure if it's availble over there or not. It's yummy, comes in all types (rye, corn etc) and it's only 70 calories piece!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends why you want to replace bread.

- If you are gluten intolerant, then you can get gluten-free bread.
    - If you have issues with yeast or sugar, you might like flatbreads or other wraps (read the labels though).
    - if it's about calories, then I suggest looking for a lower calorie bread and eat less of it. Be aware though, that lower calorie bread might mean "lower nutritional value" bread.
    - if it's because many breads have practically no nutrition then I suggest finding some good grainy, seedy bread and eating it in moderation.
    - if you have a medical condition that requires you to stay away from all breads - try just eating the stuff you'd normally eat in a sandwich on a plate. Sprinkle some nuts over the top, add some fruit, enjoy the same tastes in a different way. Fritattas and tuna or veggie patties are great portable picnic or lunch foods that don't involve bread.