question???

Options
im on a mission to lose weight, lose FAT. i have been doing bodypump, elliptical and some weghts. what kind of workout should i be doing to burn fat....aerobics? cardio ? etc

Replies

• serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Zumba!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    zumba is awesome!! best hour of my week!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    HIIT ... the holy grail . Google it or search on here x
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a blast! Running is also a hobby of mine. Just get out there and get active girl!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    C25K /running has done wonderful things for me....good luck!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will hear a lot of different responses -- I would suggest you to do a combination of strength training and cardio (Because that is what I found works best for me). MORE IMPORTANTLY, you need to find something that is realistic and works for YOU. Try out a few different things, be adventurous! :drinker:
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    HIIT ... the holy grail . Google it or search on here x

This! Also strength training is a great addition along with jump rope.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    All exercise uses calories, which come from someplace - food or stored energy (fat).

What are you looking for? Efficient exercise uses lots of energy in a short time (like swimming or zumba). Things that make your heart go faster are good for your cardiovascular fitness.

Personally, I do a lot of small things that just get my moving to keep my metabolism up and make it so I'm moving even if I don't make it to the gym (walk to work, always take stairs, stroll after dinner, stand at my desk instead of sit). Research suggests that you should get up and move for 2 minutes at least every hour to keep your metabolism from slumping.

Then I do things that actually work my muscles to keep them toned. (Tai chi).

I should do more cardio - I hope to start to running again this week when the temperature drops.

I'm not efficient, but it's also all free and I do it every single day.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Alternate strength training and cardio, that should do it. First though, make sure your diet is in order or you'll negate your efforts.

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise....without it you'll be spinning your wheels.

That said, I've always been a runner (since h.s. anyway)....LOVE it. Done 10ks, half-marathons and a full and I can tell you it works! C25K try it :)
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    To get rid of fat you have to trade fat for muscle so more strength training would help. Weight training has toned and destroyed fat (for me) the most. Things like Squats, Lunges, dumbbell bicep curls. Combining the top & lower body together (ex: Squat & press or side lunge & lat raise) seem to burn the most and do a fuller more gratifying result, again for me that is :)

http://www.ehow.com/video_2351307_do-dumbbell-squat-press-exercises.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoA-Vv96DJE

Hope this helps.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Suggest doing both strength training and lots of cardio. Be sure to mix up your cardio workouts - zumba's great but do other stuff as well -- and make sure plenty of your cardio is at a high intensity. Also, do cardio inteval work.
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    I like cardio and then strength training. I do the *****cat Dolls dance workout videos off of youtube, its usually like 20 min depending on which one you do. I end up sweating so much and not even realizing how hard I worked out until the video ends. I have resistance bands that I use for certain exercises, mostly shoulders, arms and back but they can also be used for abs and legs. Its a good alternative to weights because they take up less room but still count as 'weight lifting' exercises

Btw its really ridiculous that it cut out the word P*ssycat considering that isnt a bad word only if you cut off cat
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will hear a lot of different responses -- I would suggest you to do a combination of strength training and cardio (Because that is what I found works best for me). MORE IMPORTANTLY, you need to find something that is realistic and works for YOU. Try out a few different things, be adventurous! :drinker:

^ This! Try anything and everything! You'll find something that really makes you happy. But if you try something, really give it a shot - give it at least 4 tries before you right it off as not for you. Everything has a learning curve and no one likes to feel like the oddball, but we all started at zero so no one is judging.
  • benne1992
    benne1992 Posts: 16
    Options
    I started out with just cardio and some light aerobic work (Jillian Micheal's workouts). I did ok and ended up loosing my weight that way. I have since started doing Cross Fit, wich is cardio and weights in one crazy workout. I have noticed my core getting stronger and have lost an additional 1.9% body fat that way. I think it's important to add weights to your workout but you do need to include workouts other than just running.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you tried The New Rules of Lifting for Women? It's a book by Lou Shouller (sp?) and is meant for muscle building AND fat loss. It is very do-able... and it also exlains why cardio won't do much for you. Next time you are at a bookstore or library, I would grab it and browse through it to see if it would suit you. It is also really popular on MFP. I'm doing it myself, i'm about a month in now and I love it!
  • crystalmgonzales
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Very good advice, so sweet of you all :)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    what kind of workout should i be doing to burn fat....aerobics? cardio ? etc
    Something inefficient.

Inefficient is more colloquially known as "something that is hard to do for a while"

Running is generally the "go to" because, for most people, running is the most inefficient activity he or she can do. Case and point: walking three miles burns pretty close to the same calories as running three miles (running defined as anything faster than 5 mph or 12:00 per mile pace); however, the runner will enjoy a more extended catabolic state after ceasing activity-- especially during the adaption phase.

Swimming is also inefficient too (well some strokes more than others)

Rowing. . .

Any of those. That's probably about the top three A#1 sure fire burn fat the fastest: Run, row, or swim.