What did you do with your old wedding dress?

Options
jw17695
jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
When you decided that you and your dress needed to part ways, what did you do with it?

Replies

• mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Some people I know sold theirs on oncewed.com, others have donated it to charity. There is a breast cancer charity where you donate your dress and they go around the country selling them and all profits go to breast cancer research.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was smart. I got married in Vegas!
    I rented my dress...it was an antique lace/pearl 60 year old dress.
    They charged me $400 deposit, just to wear it!

Anyways.........I was pregnant when I got married..so I knew that if I didn't do it soon..I'd be wearing a maternity wedding dress...and that was NOT happening!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i wore jeans,boots,and a purple shirt.

if i did get a dress though i woulda donated it to goodwill.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I gave it to my son.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    sad, I threw mine in the dumpster. :( I kind of regret it but then...we ended up with an annullment so, keeping it seemed ... weird. and now I'm just mad I didn't donate it or something.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Had it boxed up and I'm pretty sure it's at my mom's house... if not then I have no clue where it's at lol!
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I stored it at my parents' house then a few years later I took it out back and burnt it. Yes.... threw it into a fire and burnt it.
    Yes.... I'd really liked it. No, it didn't fit anymore but that wasn't the reason. I'd caught my husband cheating and needed some destruction catharsis.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After 40 years, I donated mine to an organization in Texas that uses the dresses to make up the linings of caskets for indigent babies who have died. The parents of the babies are too poor to afford a nice casket. A carpenter makes a wooden casket and the ladies of the organization prepare the lining. They also fix up a keepsake of the materials to give to the familes. A nice use for a dress no longer needed.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    After 28 years of marriage, I still have my dress and I'm glad because it is a benchmark of my weight loss over the last 16 months. I can get it on and am only half an inch or less from being able to zip it up again! Reckon I'll break it out for our 30th anniversary when my husband wants to renew our vows.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My ex and I were engaged. Never got hitched (phew!), but I still have the dress in the closet.

Ooo! I wonder if it's really loose!
  • tristalamothe
    tristalamothe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've never been married, but my Mom got her dress made into my Christening gown. I still have the gown and plan on using it for my child's Christening (should I have a baby girl). She passed away in September last year, so knowing that was her wedding dress (and still married to my dad), means the world.
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing a trash the dress session. we both dress up like on our wedding day and we have a food fight or paint fight or swimming and take anniversary photos in it :)

Lynn-Michelles-Trash-the-Dress-for-the-Today-Show-500x333.jpg

08_jbt09.jpg
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I was keeping it in my closet, but since my husband (ex-husband) decided that he no longer wanted to be married and just walked away, I'm now thinking about giving it away. The thought to burn it did cross my mind!
  • yvonneW1964
    yvonneW1964 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use it as a gauge, I like to fit it at least onc every 2 years, tho missed a couple, would be great if it had to be taken in next year lol:flowerforyou:
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I haven't gotten married yet, but I used to be a bridal consultant and lots of woman would get us to sell it used for them or they would donate it to another local bridal shop that helps women get affordable dresses and donates to local charities...There might something like that where you live! Or, you could always save it if you might have a daughter that would like it? Just make sure you store it safely, moths got to my moms dress.
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    Some really great idea here. Im getting married in 2 months & now want to donate it. Thanks for sharing!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sold it....for a profit :embarassed: I know..that sounds awful. But it was still less than "used retail" (I scored a $1000 dress for $250 because it was discontinued style and the last in the store)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The first one, I donated to a girl at a friend's church.
    The second one was hand-made by my aunt, so I preserved it and kept it (even though I didn't end up keeping the husband).
    I'm not planning to have a 3rd one ;-p
  • kaali85
    kaali85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the cupboard. I love it so much I can't bare to part with it. Maybe one day one of my daughters will want it? I have three daughters so there is a chance I guess, tho I hope they would need it taken in if they used it. :embarassed:
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Sold it....for a profit :embarassed: I know..that sounds awful. But it was still less than "used retail" (I scored a $1000 dress for $250 because it was discontinued style and the last in the store)

Dude, you came out ahead. Be thankful! :)