B12 shots

Options
After a hell of a lot of blood work, dr found out i have very depleated b12 levels so i was put on vitamins and iron, 3 months later...no change, so then i had to have 5 injections in 10 days....2 weeks later no joy, i am still so tired, irritable and everything else that goes with a b12 deficiency. Anyone else had these shots? Did it make a difference? Im still hoping that maybe its gonna take some time to work, your feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• rahrah82
    rahrah82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, i found that it took about 6 months of shots before I actually felt the effects of getting them!!
  • isabellekitty
    isabellekitty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to get the shots last summer, I'm maintaining my levels now with a great sublingual from Costco. I felt better after a few days of shots, I hope it works for you!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Not to butt in but checking your diary, your protein intake is very low: 16g, 26g, 27g, 40g, etc..I'd really up it to near 100g at least. Do you have any reason you're on such a very low protein diet? I see you do eat meat occasionally.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I used to be so exhausted I would sleep from 3pm-8am daily and still not feel awake after a battery of tests I found out I was B12 deficient (now looking back, I was a vegetarian and not eating proper amounts of protein). I had B12 shots twice a week and they made the world of difference (it took a few weeks though) but soon I was alert and energized and happy. I took the shots for a year and with some diet changes I eventually no longer needed them. Hope they work for you, also try upping your protein levels as well and the combination should do wonders.
  • jameswanless
    Options
    While I agree with geekyjock76 in that your protein is too low, I also wouldn't up it to "100g at least." You should calculate what you need based on what your goal breakdown of nutrition is. The grams of protein you target in a day should be based on the % of calories you want from protein. A reasonably healthy target is 60% carbs, 20% protein and fat each, unless you're very active, then you may want something like 70% of your calories from carbs.

However, of much bigger concern is your overall food intake. The calorie targets look very low and if you are accurately reporting, you're simply not getting a good range of nutrients at all. Virtually no fruits and vegetables that I can see, and very little in the way of nuts, seeds and other key types of food.

Going back to my first paragraph, let's say you were targeting a 1500 calorie diet and wanted 20% to come from protein. That's 300 calories from protein and, at 4 calories per gram, you'd want about 75 grams of protein.

If you set a higher calorie target and factor exercise into the mix, you stand a much better chance of getting the nutrients you need.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I get B12 shots, and I love them. I can tell a difference in my energy levels, and I can tell when my shots begin to wear off. I become sluggish.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It can take a while to resolve a b12 deficiency. Your doctor plays his/her part by testing, diagnosing and prescribing while you eat a balanced diet high in b12. Do you have an eating disorder? Your calorie counts are low, and especially low in b12 rich foods. If you've a diagnosed ED then you should already have a dietician; make an appointment. If not, ask to be referred to a dietician so a diet rich in b12 and other essential vitamins and minerals can be designed for you.
  • shelk76
    shelk76 Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback.
    I dont have an ED lol!! I havent been eating much this last week purely due to the heat, today I am back to normal so my calorie intake will increase. Have a doc appt last friday, the feedback i provided to my doc resulted in him referring me to a gastologist or summat like that so it seems there is an underlying reason for this. I did forget to ask if i still should be getting the injections so i will take that up with him. I have no idea how much protein etc I should be getting per day, I do eat meat and everything else that is rich in B12 but ironically all these b12 rich foods bloat me out something chronic. Just a waiting game now, thanks again.:smile: