Thermomix

Options
a59feline
a59feline Posts: 11
I just joined and was wondering if anyone uses a thermomix and has recipes to share.

Replies

• brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My wife and I bought one of these recently, mainly to help us make things without soy/dairy/gluten for my 1 year old son who is working through some intolerances. I love it since we don't have the luxury of time :)

We are slowly working through the recipes in the book provided plus some other books our neighbour, a Thermomix seller, lent to us. They are not exactly easy on the calories for sure but once we get the knack for how to use the machine I'm sure it'll get easier to know how to make things a little more health conscious.

My wife did make some fresh crumbed chicken burger patties last night, in about 5 minutes. They were delicious and had only 5 natural ingredients, none of the additives/preservatives/etc... that the store bought ones have. She has been finding heaps of sites that have recipes so I'll see if I can post some of them here later.
  • a59feline
    a59feline Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks. I just bought one myself and am slowly getting the hang of it. Unfortunately, I had to have it sent ot me and could not see a demonstration so have used You Tube. I use it for my morning green smoothies and it's a snap. Many of the recipes on line include ingredients which I 'd prefer to stay away from, but this week I made Cuban-style black beans from Skinnytaste.com in the thermomix. I mixed that with Fiesta Lime Brown rice which I made in the rice cooker. I'm sure the rice could have been made in the thermomix but haven't learned how to do that yet. I suppose once I get over this learning curve, I will love it. But the directions book is not too helpful. Have you tried the beetroot salad in the basic cookbook? It's great and so pretty. Have you used the varoma thing yet? I'm not quite sure if you have to wait for the machine to heat up, or whether you just set timer, temperature, and then speed right away. I notice it takes a while for all the temperature lights to light up so am confused. Kat
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Unless stated otherwise, you enter the time then push the temperature setting (or Varoma button if the recipe calls for it) and select your speed setting. The recipe takes into account the heating up period so you don't have to wait for it to reach the right setting. I had the exact same question as a recipe I made, can't remember what it was now, asked for 100C and it only just reached 100 in the last minute - however the recipe came out perfect. It's like anything I guess, it'll just take time to get accustomed to how it works then you can adapt it to do whatever you need it to.

My wife makes her own flour, curry powder, bread, etc... and its used every day and we've only had it over 2 weeks. I made a banana custard in about 2 minutes (took 7 minutes to cook) and it was so easy. You can do all this stuff without a Thermomix, sure, but you don't have to sit there and stir and check on things like you do when you normally cook. This leaves time to get the rest of dinner sorted or allows you to put your feet up and let the machine do the hard yards for you. We made the pizza dough recipe the other night and it was just awesome. Calorie wise, not sure, but we are still learning how to use it. My wife is doing most of the cooking at the moment with it and she is guiding me how she did certain things as she works them out.

I really suggest going along to a demo or trying to organise for yourself, I'm pretty sure you are entitled to one when you buy a machine (That's how it is in Australia as far as I'm aware anyway).
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    BUMP, I just ordered one of these! Won't be here for 2-4 weeks but thought I'd canvas the forums to see if there were any good ideas about on healthy foods to make in it. I can see it being AMAZING in winter for making Dahl, soups and casseroles in no time at all. Will be good to mill your own grains and flour (like oat flour, flax etc). Also the sorbet they did at the demo was just ice, fruit and sugar (will replace with stevia). Can't wait to try and make my own yoghurt either. My sister has made coleslaw in hers and you could control the amount of dressing. Also can't wait to make my own dips (I'm addicted to hummus and beetroot tzatziki). Looking forward to eliminating the additives.

Apparently the there are heaps of recipes on the thermomix forum website also and I can share them as I find them
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yay! Joining this group for ideas