Medi-Cal

Options
Hey all. I wanted to see what you all think of Medi-Cal. My brother-in-law is doing it and they have done a lot of research into it. They really like it because it's doctor approved and monitored. They have to see a doctor, nutritionalist, a PT and a therapist I thinkk. Seems like a lot of people making money to me. Any way, they have him on a 600 cal a day liquid diet and he is supposed to exercise on top of that. He has lost 14 pounds since this last Thursday (5 days). His BMR is right at 3200 cals but he is only taking in 600 before exercise. I have been looking at the stuff they are putting in their diet soda and water and it seems to me it's basically like just drinking water and diet soda and eating 6 multi-vitamins (he drinks this stuff 6 times a day). I am just concerned that even though it's "doctor approved" that he is loosing weight way too fast and not doing it the right way.

What do you all think?

Replies

• monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    Eek. Sounds scary! When it comes down to it everyone needs to deal with their issues in regards to food and exercise. Who can sustain a diet like that? Unless it's a new way of living I believe it's a band-aid solution.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    sound drastic and he will lose a lot of weight but it won't be sustainable
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I understand it if a person has to loose fast for life saving surgery or something like that, but it is not a long term solution and you learn nothing on the journey, so maintenance is nigh on impossible - I would worry :(
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i'm guessing that if his bmr is 3200 he is very overweight maybe in the obese area? if that is the case he could probably get away with doing that to drop a good amount fast (like on the biggest loser) though it isn't the healthiest of ways. i would suggest that you introduce him to MFP and he can decide what will work best for him.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It sounds like yet another scheme for desperate people. I hope that it gives him a kick start to change his habits and find a way to stay healthy for the long term. The chances probably aren't very good though.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I would talk to him about MFP but his wife is one of those people that have to have an "experts" opinion on everything and supposedly this plan has a "95 percent success rate". He is currently pushing 400 - 450 poounds and he's 6'3". I tried to tell him if he would just quit having the second cheese burger and the plate of fries at his weight he would lose weight simply by watching what he ate but he wants to do this extreme thing. At 14 pounds in five days it won't be long before he just has skin hanging everywhere and look totally gross because his skin never had time to adjust. I don't know I just can't imagine water and multi-vitamins are healthy!!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Since I have found this lifestyle I stay far far away from any and all "diets", especially ones that include liq type fasts and low calories. I know way too many people on things like body by vi, shakaeology, medifast,HMR, pure protein...etc etc etc that have lost weight but they ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS gain it all back. The reason is it is not a consistent lifestyle, you are not meant to do it long term and it drops weight fast but once you start eating again it piles back on. I will stick with my calories in -vs- calories out approach, it isn't a magic pill or shake and the weight comes off slower but it is sustainable in the long run and I am done with fad diets!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't know I just can't imagine water and multi-vitamins are healthy!!
    600 calories is a lot more than this, probably 100g of protein ( Google for Protein Sparing Modified Fast) or more. Water and minerals/vitamins plus protein and essential amino acids and fats are what your body needs, these products usually aim to be nutritionally complete.

I hope they have a re-feeding / maintenance support program lined up.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I don't know I just can't imagine water and multi-vitamins are healthy!!
    600 calories is a lot more than this, probably 100g of protein ( Google for Protein Sparing Modified Fast) or more. Water and minerals/vitamins plus protein and essential amino acids and fats are what your body needs, these products usually aim to be nutritionally complete.

I hope they have a re-feeding / maintenance support program lined up.

Great just go to GNC and buy that mouscle milk stuff and only live on that....you WILL loose weight but I prefer to get something a lil more solid and sustainable in my diet. You know, something I'm more likely to actually do in the long term. After all isn't this site about improving life styles and not crash diets that pretty much always don't work long term?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What your friend is doing seems like a drastic thing, but it is medically supervised.

The calories he is getting is most likely solely nutritional, no extra fluff in them. I would imagine heavy protein intake and lots of vitamins.

This IS a weight loss solution that will be highly effective.

However, to maintain the loss, he will need to change his lifestyle completely, or else this series he is going through will simply be for nothing in the end. People that lose weight in such a way, AKA one that does not change the underlying behavior, do not fair well in long term weight loss.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    AHAH! ( thought it was on Medi-Cal from Royal Canin!!!! (Dog food)

So funny.. I had to share!

.o0(Feel silly too)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Medi-Cal. However, it sounds like yet another 'diet' that promises quick weight loss and makes people rich. Stick with MFP and do it as a lifestyle change. Most diet fads disappear until a new one comes along with another promise, another failure.

Eat less. Eat better. Move more. Be patient.