Feeling dismay - may not be worth it

Options
Hiya,
I lost a ton of weight after my second daughter using MFP, and felt fantastic. My arms, legs, face, collar bones area etc are all slim.
My stomach area is still a huge issue, but I had hope.
Had.
I'm about 10lbs from final goal. I'm 5.3 and 130lbs. I've a small frame btw.
I was reading an amazing success stories thread about post c-section stomachs, and while looking at them thought... hmmm most of these befores look amazing compared to mine. A couple of people mentioned surgery.

So with the internet before me.. I went to research Tummy Tucks. I struggled to find a pic with a stomach as bad as mine. I'm so depressed. Is there no way I'm going to get rid of it without surgery?

This lady is pretty close to me. Very similar builds and tummy issue (her before, my right now).
http://www1.plasticsurgery.org/before_and_after_photo_gallery/case.aspx?id=4515

I've had 2 pregnancies both huge babies delivered by c-section.
I'm too embarrassed to post a pic of me. Part of me wants to spend 15 hours in plank, the other bit wants to go to bed with a hot chocolate and a muffin.

Replies

• ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    first of all: <3. don't be disappointed in yourself; you've already made awesome progress. i'd say this can mostly be attributed to weight loss and loose skin, prior pregnancies with the c section, age, and genetics. it's really hard for your muscles to recover after a c-section.

would a "tummy tuck" make you feel better about yourself? would it not be a significant drain on your finances? if so, go for it!
  • Hayter2013
    Hayter2013 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi

Those last few pounds are hard to get rid of, especially around the belly area since you've had two children!!
    Your body had been through a lot during those pregnancies but I'm sure you have 2 beautiful girls and you wouldn't have your life any other way. As the person above commented, your muscles aren't what they used to be, you've basically had to make room in your body to carry the babies so all your organs etc get pushed out of alignment as a result.

I have a belly I'm not happy with, as I'm sure most mothers do! I find now that because my belly is the least toned area of my body, everything I eat tends to go right there, making me look 4 months pregnant at times!
    I have invested in a Slendertone belt and after buying it on Saturday, I can already notice a slight difference!
    I must admit, I have neither the time, nor the money to spend hours down the gym as I'm a working Mom to a two year old boy who keeps me pretty fit anyway but at the end of a long day, I can't be doing with exercising etc as I feel that all the chores I do round the house more than make up for that!! :laugh:
    But I'm a bit of a cheat when it comes to trying to help tone my belly, hence the belt. Apparently 20 mins on it is like doing 120 sit ups??!! lol
    But if it works for me, I'm willing to try it! I got it from Amazon, it was around £40 I think (can't remember now!)

Well done on your weight loss before this! Don't give up! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ElizaBennettDarcy
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of support.
    I guess I'm having one of those days! Normally much more upbeat!

In truth - looking properly into tummy tucks has been useful. Depressing, but useful. First - I realised I've Diastatis Recti - so I'm going to try some of the exercises for that - and an umbilical hernia which is definitely a surgery issue.
    More diet/fitness/MFP - if I get to Victoria Beckham size I might lose some of tum LOL

All I can do is focus on what is possible to achieve, and just make up my mind that I won't be in a bikini in the foreseeable future.

As for doing a TT. Not with a toddler who needs lifting. I'm very reluctant to go for a third surgery on the same area. I'm reluctant to go under the knife full stop. I'd need to win the lottery to pay for it. So.. not anytime soon!!

Thank you again @Hayter84 and @Ephemerata
  • blondie6688
    Options
    Don't feel down... look at your healthy wonderful kiddos and be thankful for them. You will figure what avenue you want to take. You've come so far. I struggle with 10 lbs myself, now it\s 7...

Congrats for your progress up to this point!!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My DS was 10 lbs 11 oz, and he was a c-section. Put those two together, and my tummy looks very similar to that picture. I am a bit more toned, but I have the "overhang" that gal has. Once I am done having children, I do plan on getting a tummy tuck. My issue is that I have so much loose skin that you can literally pull it 4 inches away from my lower abs. In the meantime, I am not going to beat myself up over it! It is what it is, and it is from a very worthwhile cause :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    If you have the means and it's important, get the surgery.
    I sure would.
    Do what you feel is right for you.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • ElizaBennettDarcy
    Options
    I am not going to beat myself up over it! It is what it is, and it is from a very worthwhile cause :)

You are so right...
    I suppose, I'm just feeling what's the damn point if I'm never going to look 'good'.
    But!!!! I do look a damn sight better than I did! And I'm healthier.. and I'm a better role model eating properly and exercising and having fun doing it.

Thanks for the support - it really means a lot.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    Keep on going and don't give up:) If you want surgery then get it done I will probably get surgery in the future