food alternatives

Options
sana66
sana66 Posts: 54 Member
hi guys thought id scream out n tell u all a disCovery i just made and something that will help u all,,i just went on to tescos website and typed :weight watchers: in the search box and loadsss ov foods came up that we eat everyday but that are lower in fat n calories!!!..som ov u may have already known this but its a discovery i have just made and wanted to share with you all..for example i love my bread - normally it would bee arond 100calories but the WW bread is 51cals!!!=AMAZING...tmrw i will be going tescos to get all the new alternatives=EXCITED!!! :)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good on you for looking for alternatives to the foods you normally buy - but be cautious with "diet" foods.

Often the "low salt" foods have lots of sugar added to make them tasty without the salt.
    Things that are "low fat" often have lots of sugar and salt and starchy fillers.
    Things that are marketed as "diet" may just be smaller serves (are you getting the same amount of bread or have they reduced the calories just by making the slices smaller?).
    And remember that the companies making this food have no interest whatsoever in you getting healthier - their job is to sell their product and if they can do that by convincing you that it's better for you, they will try every trick in the book to do that.

That's not to say don't buy these product, but make sure you are a smart consumer.
    Learn to read the labels, and compare them with regular brands to see if there is actually a difference. And if there is - see what ingredients they have used to make is lower in calories, is that something you actually want to be eating?

My personal philosophy on food is that I'd rather get used to eating a smaller (i.e. what I actually need!) portion of "real" food rather than a larger (i.e.. unnecessarily huge) portion of "diet" food. And that I'd rather cook my own meals when I can so I know exactly how much salt and sugar and oil and veggies etc are in them.

I don't mean to be negative here and I'm sorry if this post comes across this way - but, don't get suckered in by the marketing companies!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes, do be careful with things that claim to be healthier. Sometimes they're the same, or even worse.
    Weight watchers bread is similar to Nimble and the like. Most Danish labelled bread, actually. Do watch out for Weight Watchers branded stuff. Personally I've found it to be rather misleading. And often you'll be eating processed crap and getting very few good nutrients.
  • sana66
    sana66 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey thnx for the advice guys..I am quite new to it all so all the info I get is gna b usefull...wts wrong with danish? :s
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Nothing! Danish bread is yummy, I love it - just saying you don't have to stick to the Weight Watchers brand :smile: