Cheese

Options
I've never really eaten dairy food like cheese and hated milk as a child. I was out with a friend having lunch and had a cream cheese and salmon sandwich but later on I felt seriously sick and I hadnt eaten anything else after it just plain cereal no milk. Today I tried cereal and milk and felt sick again, is this damaging to my nutrition and health not having enough dairy?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    You may be lactose intolerant. Have you always had issues with dairy or is this something that's just popped up?

There are alternatives like soy and almond milk that you could try. Or try taking Lactaid before eating dairy.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    I have had problems before, I can eat a little say on pasta dishes but not really in sandwich and I've never liked milk but I'm even finding now some ice creams can make me feel sick.
    Almond milk sounds interesting though can you buy it in a super market?
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    They make non-dairy ice cream if you find that you are lactose intolerant. Also, try frozen kefir. It's good for you...10 different kinds of probiotics and it's 90 cals per half cup or something like that. I eat the Lifeway brand.

I am slightly everything intolerant, especially lactose. I say that because ever since I started eating healthy my body just does not want to digest certain foods without giving me a stomachache and eventually sending me to the bathroom. I can't have cream (I don't like it anyway) but I'm fine with 1% or skim milk. Try lighter versions of what you eat now.

Oh and also you mentioned you had never really eaten dairy so your body might be like "how do I process this?" I know mine does that with beef.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If milk/dairy products make you feel sick don't eat them! You're not hurting yourself, honest. You can get protein from many sources and if you're worried about calcium eat lots of dark, leafy greens & seeds, take a supplement, buy fortified products (Almond milk & soy milk are both fortified with calcium).

I can eat cheese although right now I'm trying to abstain, but I really really dislike cow's milk and haven't had it in years.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I've never really eaten dairy food like cheese and hated milk as a child. I was out with a friend having lunch and had a cream cheese and salmon sandwich but later on I felt seriously sick and I hadnt eaten anything else after it just plain cereal no milk. Today I tried cereal and milk and felt sick again, is this damaging to my nutrition and health not having enough dairy?

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you may be lactose intolerant. You should get tested. You can get calcium in other ways and they have special milk for lactose intolerant people.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    Thank you all very much, I think I'll see if I can get tested. Do I just call my doctor?
    That might be true about my body not knowing how to process milk, when I was younger and even now I eat plain cereal or with pineapple, I think I've always been low on calcium and rarely eat 10% of what I'm meant to have.
    Can you get Lifeway brand in the UK?
    I do love green and just all fruit and vegetables but I would need to research seeds in greater detail. I think firstly though I will need to check if I am intolerant.
    Thank you for all your comments :)
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and lactaid pills works great.

Also, I digest well activia yogurts.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    If you're lactose intolerant, you might be able to sneak in hard or aged cheeses like parmesan or extra-sharp cheddar. If the cheese is aged enough, the bacteria have finished eating all the lactose.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    I might give those tablets a try, I used to eat activia but then they changed and i didn't like them any more but i like racheals organic

Thank you Im gonna start reading it now :)

I do have a little parmesan on pasta sometimes, I will try cheddar too in my foods, when I did have any cheese I liked the cheddar the best so could be a good sign :)
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options

That was really interesting and good idea's for foods. thank you!!
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options
    I might give those tablets a try, I used to eat activia but then they changed and i didn't like them any more but i like racheals organic

Thank you Im gonna start reading it now :)

I do have a little parmesan on pasta sometimes, I will try cheddar too in my foods, when I did have any cheese I liked the cheddar the best so could be a good sign :)

If I can digest Activia, it's because of all the probiotic in it. Other ones, I react. But I just like the vanilla one and sometimes add fresh fruits in it.

I am a big cheese lover. As a kid, before they knew what got me sick, I drank milk, eat cheese, got ice cream. The impact didn't come until a few days. I would just be in major pain, my stomach was hurting like my intestines wanted to come out!
    Until a neurologist told my mom to cut me off the dairy products.

I was stubborn. I kept taking dairies. I didn't want to take pills and at that time, Lactaid milk was the only one without lactose, and tasted weird.
    Now, 20 years later, my digestive system is processing dairies way better. I eat cheese, ice cream without being afraid to be in pain. Is it because of my stubbornness? Maybe. (Was as stubborn with my cat allergies, and I am not allergic anymore)
    I took the habit of not drinking milk though, coz it was my biggest trigger back then. But when I am about to have a big dairy intake, I take a pill before. I maybe get a crisis once per 6 months to a year now.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    I really dislike things like yoghurt unless they have fruit, or raspberry flavoured managed some yesterday
    I have a friend like that and she gave up all cheese and chocolate and i did feel this way earlier on in the week
    Thats great though, hopefully my system will get used to it a bit better at it,
    Does the dairy pill have to be given by a doctor?
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options
    Does the dairy pill have to be given by a doctor?

I don't know where you come from... But here, in Canada, it's on Drugstores' shelves. I take this one, the Fstt Act caplets:::::

http://www.lactaid.com/products-home#Fast_Act_Caplets

Good luck! =)
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    maybe your body just needs to adjust to it. if you don't plan on eating a lot of dairy, it's probably not worth the discomfort. on the other hand, you could take a long weekend to eat a block of cheese and a drink a gallon of milk to see what happens ;)
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    i wouldnt say i was lactose intolerant but i have found i cant digest as much milk products anymore.

Im ok with cheese and I love a bit of ice cream now and again but can only eat small amounts and not too late in the day or it keeps me up all night. I dont drink milk and will only have like a teaspoon or two if i have cereal. yogurt i have found to be a big no-no , for some reason recently it makes me feel really sick and I love the stuff.
    I have just learned to either go without or jus make do with small amounts

This froma gal that used to drink at least 2 pints of milk a day fresh from the cow
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    I have been lactose intolerant since I was a kid in the 50s, before my parents even knew about it. Everytime I would have ice cream and throw up, my mother told me it was because I ate it too fast. Mac and cheese would have me doubled over - again her reason was that I was eating too fast. I remember beginning to pull away from milk and dairy in my teens, because although it is my favorite food, it makes me too ill. Even when I was pregnant 39 years ago and the doctor insisted I drink milk, after a few days of throwing up, he relented and told me to stop.

Fast forward to now. I eat So Delicious coconut milk yogurt. I stick to the plain and add my own berries and almonds, but it comes in lots of flavors and the chocolate tastes like chocolate pudding. You can buy it at Sprouts, Whole Foods and I've even seen it in some mainline grocery stores. The small container is $2.00. The large plain is 3 something and goes along way. Four ounces is 80 calories.

As for cheese, as much as I love it, I know it makes me ill... even the aged cheddar. I have found Nutritional Yeast is a pretty good substitute. The consistency is like instant potato flakes. It is gluten free and dairy free and parve. It comes in a large coffee-tin like packaging and at Spouts costs 10.99. Goes a very long way. Three heaping tablespoons are 80 calories, although I never use more than 1 at a time. I use it in the omelettes I make with Egg Beaters and veggies; on gf pasta with clams, on a corn tortilla I lightly spray with butter pam, sprinkle with the yeast and toast bake briefly in the toaster oven. Maybe even top that with some chopped tomatoes and another sprinkle when it comes out.

Nutritional yeast is very healthy and is so easy to use. It has a cheesy, nutty flavor. One person who I have turned it on to, claims it tastes like peanut butter to her.

These two products might help you cope with having to give up dairy. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You can get almond milk and soy milk in the big supermarkets in the UK. In many of them you can also get hazelnut milk, rice milk and oat milk. They are usually either near the fresh milk, or near the UHT boxed milk. Most big supermarkets also have a "free from" section which is usually tiny (you might have to ask where it is!), but will have some alternatives to dairy products.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yeah, you may wanna explore other non-dairy options. Too much dairy makes my face break out in bad acne but that's pretty much it. So if I want my skin to stay clear and pretty, I gotta limit dairy intake. I'm not sure if this is a form of lactose intolerance or just an low-form allergy? But yeah, soy milk, almond milk, etc would be a good idea for you. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not consuming enough calcium is bad for your health. Calcium is a necessary nutrient and if you don't ingest enough, your body will get what it needs from your bones, which could lead to osteoporosis. But it's completely possible to get enough calcium without dairy. Here is a link ot a list of calcium rich foods,

https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Data/SR24/nutrlist/sr24w301.pdf

Or you could simple take a supplement. But keep in mind that too much calcium can also lead to health problems, and there is some evidence that high dose supplements can increase risk of disease. It's probably safer to get as much as you can from food and use low dose supplements if needed.