Wow- leeks seem really good for you

Options
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=46

Now i've always liked leeks as a milder option to onions for certain foods. I think they taste a lot better in soups and stews where onions can be a bit overpowering.

I was looking into some nutritional info as i have some baby leeks ready to pick out of my garden and was thinking of making a potato and leek soup and was amazed at all the lovely vitamins and minerals and heart healthy stuff packed into these little green beauties.

i think im gonna create a creation today :bigsmile:

Replies

• babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make potato and leek soup a couple times a month. But I've learned to let it cool before putting it in the blender. I don't have an immersion blender. At first I did it hot in the blender and the steam blew the lid off burning me.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    oo nasty- thanks for that tip. my daughter had one of those bullets things for Christmas which i loved but the cow took it with her when she moved out!! damned inconsiderate of her- i really must get another one
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I make a Mariniere over fresh lobster, scallops and mussels... Those leeks have to be super-fresh otherwise the sauce just isnt the same....
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    cant get fresher than out the garden...mmmmm
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Well, there is a hidden quirk with Leeks... the example the mariniere sauce and how it calls for wine. I find that if the leeks are freshest at best, they dont break down as easily in wine.

Leeks are a 'funny' thing... but thank goodness they are affordable for sure!