Zuchinni? Who Knew?!

Options
I have never been good about eating my veggies, but since I started here I have gained new ways of eating them and find my new love for veggies!!

So when I tried a zucchini recipe for the first time last night and LOVED it, I felt the need to share it!! Forgive me if I am repeating...

Shred 2 zuchinni, salt it lightly and draw the moisture out.

Cook 2 slices of bacon in a skillet, pour off all but a little bacon fat. Crumble and set aside.

Sauté a medium onion, sliced, in the bacon fat.

When the onion is soft, turn up the heat to high and add in the zuchinni and bacon add pepper to taste.

Sauté, stirring, till done (maybe 2 min).

I calculated it at around 60 calories per serving...hope I was right!

Replies

• indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is how my grandma got me to eat zuchinni years ago. I haven't had it this way in years. I think I will be making some soon! Thanks for a good reminder!
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bacon makes anything taste good!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Everything is better with bacon! :) I love zucchini, you can use it in many different things, I have been known to add it to chili, spaghetti sauce and even scrambled eggs. Yum.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump!
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    zucchini is probably my favorite vegetable! it is so simple to make and it always tastes good. Its great in a stir fry, or breaded, or with anything you want to put it with! the other night my fiance and I were cooking and we sauteed an onion and garlic in oil infused with basil, and then threw in cut up zucchini, sauteed it and let it get a bit soft, it was delicious!!! I mixed it with white rice in my dish, YUM!!
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've got a large zucchini someone gave me from their garden. Must pick up some bacon TODAY! :love:

(Thanks for the idea.)
  • Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    oh please MORE Zucchini recipes! Our garden is producing them like crazy, I need more ways to nomnom them!
    Thank you, that one sounds delish!
  • thunderwoods
    thunderwoods Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this one yet...but you can bet I will within the next 2 days!

Take zucchini and peel it, skin and all, until you get to the seeds, then throw it out. Take about 3 of them and put them in pan with 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 2 wedges of laughing cow cheese, garlic and pepper, cover and steam, stir, steam, stir, etc, until the cheese is melted and noodles are soft. My husband who is not dieting begs for these, and swears it tastes just like Alfredo.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love zuchinni, and I love bacon!

I eat zuchinni by using a potato peeler and slicing it in "noodles". Then, I eat it in whatever way I would eat pasta! It goes well with everything :)
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I love zucchini. Its a personal favorite of mine. I'm going to have to try this out :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Just made the OP's recipe and stuffed it in a pitta for lunch. Delish!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Someone on my friends list had zucchini fries in their diary and I had to go Google... http://www.oprah.com/food/Parmesan-Zucchini-Fries-Recipe This was the first result and it's totally on my "make and nom when zukes are back in season" list.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Slice it and grill it. The end. Awesome.
  • pjhump
    pjhump Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2010/05/tiny-tomatoes-big-taste.html

recipe with pictures of zucchini boats. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/07/28/baked-zucchini-sticks-and-sweet-onion-dip-that-bloomin-zucchini/

And this one is for baked zucchini sticks. I'm going to try this one this weekend.

I found them both on Pinterest!