Losing 2 lbs in 1 day?

Options
i always weigh myself with no clothes on cept my underwear, panties and tank top. yesterday i weighed myself 193.2 and just to make sure it was accurate i did it several times to make sure i got the same number and i did everytime; tried 3 times. so today i weigh myself and i'm 190.8; tried it 3 times and same consistent number.

is it possible to lose 2 lbs in 1 day or do i need to buy a new scale?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it is possible to lose 2lbs, but then tomorrow you might have put 2 on. if you are going to weigh every day then you will learn that weight fluctuates for a lot of different reasons!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Being honest here: stop weighing yourself like crazy...

Scales do not give you an accurate picture of what food is still in your body digesting, the amount of urine in your bladder if you have not expelled it, etc...

Scales are not accurate no matter what... Weight fluctuates by the hour, day, week, etc.... Measuring tape is the best way to determine true loss.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, depending what you have eaten that day, plus it could be water weight, i have experienced this.
    Plus what time of day did you weigh yourself? It's best if you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before eating :)

Don't get too hung up over the number on the scales, remember muscle weighs more than fat ( Try taking you body measurements with a tape measure, more accurate) and dont weigh yourself everyday. i used to do that and got sooo paranoid. try to weigh yourself once a week :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    water weight can fluctuate at least 2 lbs up and down either side of average.

I can pee or poo a pound so bodily functions come into play too.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing...I found when I stoped weighing myself every day I had more consistent progress. I know its really tempting, but I would pick one day to weigh yourself a week for your weigh-in.

Also keep in mind that womens weight can fluctuate a LOT...depending on time of the month.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Don't get too hung up over the number on the scales, remember muscle weighs more than fat

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

The only difference is the size. Muscle is leaner and takes less space.

Here is an image link to a 5lb picture of each...
    http://www.kristilarsen.com/images/Fat_vs_Muscle.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Reading a bunch of reviews of digital scales on Amazon, and I don't know if this is true or not, but... it seems a lot of digital scales have a two pound "memory." So as long as you're within two pounds, up or down, of your previous weight, it will show that same weight. Supposedly, it's supposed to make the scale seem more accurate by ignoring minor fluctuations, but it seems to just frustrate people who want to see those minor fluctuations.

I know myself, I can weigh myself first thing in the morning, then weigh myself after breakfast and once dressed, and the scale will say I'm the same weight. So if I want to see my most accurate weight, I'll get on the scale holding something that weighs about 10 pounds or so to "reset" it, then weigh myself again.

In short, that means your scale might not register a loss until you've lost at least 2 pounds.

But really... it's just one more reason to not get too hung up on that number.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yeah, your weight may fluctuate from water weight, salt intake or just having food from yesterday in your belly still.

My Healthometer scale has a trend tracking system which pretty much is three little lights that indicate what my weight on the scale means. Basically it tells me if I'm gaining, losing or remaining a stable weight. It helps me understand what's actually a loss/gain and what is just a fluctuation from water or food. :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3 pounds of *something* since yesterday....so yea, it's possible. What you eat, how much water/sodium you take in, how frequently you, um, I'll just say it - poop - all play a role in what the scale will do.

As stated above, if you weigh yourself daily, be ready for the scale to go up and down and up and down. I can easily gain 3-4 pounds over a weekend (hello Bacardi & diet Pepsi), then make it go away by mid-week.
  • beckydunks
    Options
    muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more.
    Per unit volume it does indeed weigh more, but who comes on here saying "I am the same volume but the scales went up" - Archimedes ?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just normal flutuations of water weight and other factors. If you're going to weight every day, don't look at short term trends.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yep as everyone says there a a ton of reasons you can lose that much... I weigh every morning but only officially log it once a week... Over the daily weigh-ins I can go up and down 3-4lbs easily, but I only count the weekly weigh-in for MFP.
  • gehanjawdat
    Options
    Its possible my dear keep up the good work
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

The only difference is the size. Muscle is leaner and takes less space.

Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks? LoL!
  • slbrantner
    slbrantner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week. If you weigh daily, you will see a lot of up and down. It gets frustrating and confusing. As far as your scale goes, I don't have an answer. I have the same problem. I have bought 2 new scales becuase I thought something was wrong with mine, but the new ones do the same.
    I get on the scale once a week and I do it 3 times in a row. I always use the highest number. That way I won't be disappointed next week (if I use the lowest number and don't see much of a difference the next week)
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, depending what you have eaten that day, plus it could be water weight, i have experienced this.
    Plus what time of day did you weigh yourself? It's best if you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before eating :)

Don't get too hung up over the number on the scales, remember muscle weighs more than fat ( Try taking you body measurements with a tape measure, more accurate) and dont weigh yourself everyday. i used to do that and got sooo paranoid. try to weigh yourself once a week :)

measurements tell the big story! the scale will move all day long :)
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i always weigh myself with no clothes on cept my underwear, panties and tank top. yesterday i weighed myself 193.2 and just to make sure it was accurate i did it several times to make sure i got the same number and i did everytime; tried 3 times. so today i weigh myself and i'm 190.8; tried it 3 times and same consistent number.

is it possible to lose 2 lbs in 1 day or do i need to buy a new scale?
    I lost 1.5lbs in 4 hours today and all IO was doing was sitting at my desk...

Why?

Because it is damn hot and I sweated off that much.

Day to day changes can be affected by the same thing.
  • beckydunks
    Options
    oh so sorry for quoting something on the WEIGHT WATCHERS WEBSITE! go complain to them
  • krog197474
    Options
    Question?
    According to eating well magazine I can loose 2 lbs a day, I did the calculations the said to do and I am eating the number of calories I am supposed to to loose 2lbs a day it's been a week and nothing you, is this just nonsense?