Please take a look at my food diary!

Options
Just as some extra info- i'm trying to lose 20 odd lbs (and get fit rather than get thin!) I've been using this site for nearly a week now and found i've been eating fairly well (what I think is anyway!) barring a few bad snacks every couple of days.
I'm also vegan, hence the lack of animal products!
Opinions/criticisms/advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you asking?

From looking quickly and without knowing what you want to know, it looks like you're not eating enough so if you want to see if you're eating ok to lose weight, you might have some issues
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Especially when you're a vegan. You need to get enough protein, fiber, vitamins and at least 1200 calories or you will starve to death. If you are really just looking to be healthy, then eat more.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you want to get fit rather than thin, you should up your protein. You daily limit is set pretty low, and you're not meeting that. The rest of your diet looks fairly healthy. How much do you weigh now, and what kind of exercise are you doing?
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    Your diary is healthy you need more protein though to be more fit try protein bars if you don't eat meat and try to eat more calories
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fats and proteins both too low, you're eating an excess of sugar and starch.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Definitely not enough calories or protein to reach your fitness goals - you gotta feed the machine, girl.

Good vegan sources of protein are tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, beans and vegan protein bars - I love the Clif Builder bars! Don't be afraid to eat your daily calorie allotment, you need it!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with many here.

1. You're not eating enough and you run the risk of unhealthy weightloss that could do serious long term damage.

2. Looking at your profile image, which admittedly is just one photo, but where do you think you need to loose 20lbs???? My personal opinion is that you appear to be rather slim and I can not imagine where you would loose 20lbs from.

Sorry if this offends, but I felt it should be said.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Autumnstarry- just to see if anyone has any suggestions about how to improve (:
    Thank you all for the help so far, I feel like i'm eating so much though! Up until about a month ago I was eating small amounts of junk food (like frozen potato waffles) and now i've switched it for larger volumes of healthier food I get full really quickly.

Any suggestions about what to eat lentils/beans with? I can't stand rice but am trying to learn how to love it (and learn to love lentils haha), I used to buy tofu/seitan but my budget can't stretch that far (I also have to feed an omnivore boyfriend who loves pizza!)

I'm also actually being really lazy at the moment (usually just a 3+ mile walk a day), when I start back at uni in just over a month I will get back into badminton 3 times a week, as well as cheer practice twice a week (3 hours each time). I weight 160 (I used to weigh 120, I don't want to get all the way back there again, but I just want to find a happy medium).

Thanks again guys, this is really helpful.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Fats and proteins both too low, you're eating an excess of sugar and starch.

This^... Aaaaand youre not eating nearly enough. What exercise are you doing to get fit? You cant get fit simply through eating a miniscule amount of calories.
  • DietandVlogsense
    Options
    Ah, OK, more info. I guess you're OK on the weightloss requirements front then and you are certainly extremely active. I would have thought 120-125 from your profile pic.

I would think you should be aiming form at least 1400 calories a day, NET of exercise. That's a number in the air there, but certainly anything below 1200 net is not going to be a good thing.
  • makemewannadie
    Options
    Dietandvlogsense- thanks for the comment (: My photo is deceiving haha, i'm very tall and most of my weight is like around my hips/thighs, I wear a UK 8/10 on top and then UK 14 for skirts/jeans.
  • sharoncasey60
    sharoncasey60 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake is way too low. Your body is (will) go on starvation mode. What you are eating looks varied and healthy....lots of veggies. I think you need to eat more and I agree with the others.
  • DietandVlogsense
    Options
    Dietandvlogsense- thanks for the comment (: My photo is deceiving haha, i'm very tall and most of my weight is like around my hips/thighs, I wear a UK 8/10 on top and then UK 14 for skirts/jeans.
    Ah, so classic pear then. :smile:

I can sympathise; my wife had a similar shape, though through a lot of work she got the bottom half to size 10 in the end. Running was her key to success.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan too if you want to take a look at my log for ideas (but have not been eating enough calories lately so ignore the calorie count, I'm trying to increase that, along with my protein intake) My advice would be to drink much more water, and eat more. I like mixing lentils into steamed veggies or using them in place of pasta. Also, if you can't afford tofu you can make your own out of dried soybeans (you can actually make tofu or milk out of any bean/nut there are a lot of how tos on youtube). Or you can get some dried textured vegetable protein, once you add 1 parts water to dry TVP it makes the equivalent of tofu and I bought it in bulk at about $1 or so a pound.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help so far, I feel like i'm eating so much though! Up until about a month ago I was eating small amounts of junk food (like frozen potato waffles) and now i've switched it for larger volumes of healthier food I get full really quickly.

Any suggestions about what to eat lentils/beans with? I can't stand rice but am trying to learn how to love it (and learn to love lentils haha), I used to buy tofu/seitan but my budget can't stretch that far (I also have to feed an omnivore boyfriend who loves pizza!)

I'm also actually being really lazy at the moment (usually just a 3+ mile walk a day), when I start back at uni in just over a month I will get back into badminton 3 times a week, as well as cheer practice twice a week (3 hours each time). I weight 160 (I used to weigh 120, I don't want to get all the way back there again, but I just want to find a happy medium).

Beans and lentils are delicious in tortillas, or in burger buns as sloppy joe filling! You could also dice potatoes and do like a hash type thing with them.

Also, let your boyfriend try the meatless dishes - doesn't really make sense for you to skimp on healthy protein sources for yourself while he buys meat/pizza.
  • makemewannadie
    Options
    Yeah, being a 'pear shape' sucks haha.

I had NO idea you could make your own tofu, that's awesome. I'll definitely look into that (:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Lentils-you can make soup with them...mix them with cooked quinoa (for a vegan friendly protein option)
    Beans-rice, quinoa, couscous, wild rice, potatoes

You can also get protein through nuts and nut butters...tofu smoothies, maybe? Just looks like not enough protein or calories overall.
  • makemewannadie
    Options

Beans and lentils are delicious in tortillas, or in burger buns as sloppy joe filling! You could also dice potatoes and do like a hash type thing with them.

Also, let your boyfriend try the meatless dishes - doesn't really make sense for you to skimp on healthy protein sources for yourself while he buys meat/pizza.

Yeah, i'd like him to try more of vegan food... he's just very stubborn, I made what I thought was an amazing vegan dinner a while back, and the first thing he did was shove cheese and pepperoni on it c: If he ate what I eat a couple of times a week we'd save spending money on premade things for him and be able to afford more stuff for the both of us.