Skinny, but fat???

Options
I started my weight loss journey last Christmas, when I realized I was about to go over my healthy weight range. Since then I’ve lost an easy 10 pounds, but have struggled yo-yo style since I’ve gotten below 140. However, I’ve noticed lately that I can see and feel my ribs more… not just in the front, but in my back as well.

I find this really strange because I still have an annoying bulge in the front of my below that I absolutely want to lose. Why won’t it go away? I feel like I’m going to look sickly if I lose more weight around my ribs, but the fat on my belly won’t go away… I’m losing everywhere but there. Is this normal? Does this happen to anyone else?

Btw, I do strength training as well as cardio (I can even do push-ups now). And if you look at my diary, it’s true that I’m eating a donut today, but I don’t eat donuts EVERY day, lol.

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey last Christmas, when I realized I was about to go over my healthy weight range. Since then I’ve lost an easy 10 pounds, but have struggled yo-yo style since I’ve gotten below 140. However, I’ve noticed lately that I can see and feel my ribs more… not just in the front, but in my back as well.

I find this really strange because I still have an annoying bulge in the front of my below that I absolutely want to lose. Why won’t it go away? I feel like I’m going to look sickly if I lose more weight around my ribs, but the fat on my belly won’t go away… I’m losing everywhere but there. Is this normal? Does this happen to anyone else?

Btw, I do strength training as well as cardio (I can even do push-ups now). And if you look at my diary, it’s true that I’m eating a donut today, but I don’t eat donuts EVERY day, lol.

You need to continue the strength training. If you're at a healthy weight, I might even consider increasing your calories to maintenance level. Try increasing your protein and fat and lowering your carbs a bit. Drink lots of water. And be patient. You have to decrease your overall body fat to get rid of the belly pooch, and that takes time.
  • andreaeszter
    Options
    One thing you could try is a low-fat vegan diet to stay healthy and trim. Here is an article that you may find useful: http://www.vegsource.com/news/2012/07/how-did-chef-aj-lose-all-that-weight-she-gave-up-nuts.html

Best wishes!
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

You need to continue the strength training. If you're at a healthy weight, I might even consider increasing your calories to maintenance level. Try increasing your protein and fat and lowering your carbs a bit. Drink lots of water. And be patient. You have to decrease your overall body fat to get rid of the belly pooch, and that takes time.

I increased to maintenance a few weeks ago because I was experiencing dizziness. But thanks for the advice! I'll do more strenght training than I do cardio, hopefully I'll stop losing around my ribs...
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    One thing you could try is a low-fat vegan diet to stay healthy and trim. Here is an article that you may find useful: http://www.vegsource.com/news/2012/07/how-did-chef-aj-lose-all-that-weight-she-gave-up-nuts.html

Best wishes!

I was actually considering changing my diet to partly vegan... eating less animal products but not cutting them out completely.
    Interesting article, thank you!
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm at a comfortable weight but not a comfortable size. Just have to be patient and let the strength training and cardio work. :)
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    When I was your age I had a similar problem. I was close to emaciated from the waist up and disproportionately larger in my hips and thighs, sort of flabby, even. My workouts were mostly running, cycling and squats, so I was at a loss.....and I still am :) No advice, except I wish those were the only body issues I had today :P You look like a normal healthy girl to me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    More protein. When I upped my protein to around 100g a day, I felt better and my body started changing shape. And keep up the strength training.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You're not getting enough protein. You see after we do strength training, our muscles get depleted & it needs to be replenished via protein & carbs. MFP settings for protein is way too low & you have to eat more than that, rule of thumb is 1g for every pound of bodyweight (for example you weigh 140 pounds so therefore you need to eat 140g of protein). I suggest changing your macro settings to 40-30-30.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat- I'm thin with my ribs showing in my upper half and my lower half refuses to lose all the stored fat.... I'm at a healthy weight too- 5'6" and 135 but I want that ugly fat on my legs gone. If you figure out the solution please let me know. :/
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it'll even out.