workout after working all day...

Options
I have such a hard time going to the gym after i get off work around 5pm...its dark and cold and im tired..Once i get home and sit down i cant get back up...do your guys have any tip on how i can motivate myself?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Don't go home and sit down! Buy a gym bag, pack it with a couple outifts, sports bras, socks, water bottle, and keep it in your car. Replace with fresh stuff when you use them. :laugh: Eat an hour or two before work lets out, and head right to the gym. When I worked in DC a couple years ago I was gone from 7am-6pm, and I would drive right to the gym on my way home.
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    dont go home...dont ever go home
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have to go after work too and it sucks but its way better than getting up any earlier than i already do. Plus I think it helps me unwind after my stressfull day so I dont take it out on my family.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I try to have scheduled workouts that I absolutely have to get to at a certain time. Otherwise, I end up farting around until it's too late to go. But if I'm meeting people for a bike ride that leaves from a certain spot at 6:15 then I have to be there and set up on my bike by 6:15 and that forces me to leave work and actually go.
  • lilelephant
    Options
    thanx everyone for the great advice! from now on i will be going straight to the gym!
  • specialsong77
    specialsong77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing, when I get home if I sit down it's all over. I don't have a gym membership anymore with the penny pinching we have to do in today's economy so I have hand weights and a treadmill. So when I get home from work I try to immediately change into my workout gear from my work clothes and head to the treadmill before I start unwinding. I too have a terrible time getting up early enough to work out so I do evening workouts. It gives me just enough energy to get my nighttime chores done but also helps me be more tired at bedtime so I tend to sleep better. :) Good luck finding the balance and perseverance to keep going! :)
  • angelnik03
    Options
    Have you tried squeezing in a lunch workout, if it's possible? That way you don't have to do it before or after work.
  • Tigerlilly31
    Options
    I found its easier to wake up an hour and a half earlier and workout in the morning! It gives me a little boost all day, I dont have to worry about getting it in later, and when I get home I can kick up my feet and relax (because you know your gonna pass out earlier now!)
  • ideretic
    Options
    I'd recommend paying for some fitness class..i.e, kickboxing or similar because it always works for me... If I paid (and money is tight currently) I'll make sure to do everything to put it in a good use! good luck!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Like Tigerlilly said, perhaps an earlier start to your day? If I get going first thing in the morning, I actually feel better about myself the whole day! One thing I do in the evenings when I can't get up early and I'm too tired to do anything to strenuous is yoga. I actually feel super relaxed afterwards. I love the ten minute yoga solutions dvd...that way I can do as little or as much as I want! :o)