Side Stitches! Ouchie!

Options
Is there any technique or anything that gets rid of side stitches when you are running. I dont' get them often but when I do, it kills.
I feel like I have enough energy to keep running, if only the pain goes away. Most the time I try working through them but if there is a breathing technique or anything that helps I would love to know it! Thanks!

Replies

• MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh how I can relate. This is a big problem for me. And I'll get muscle cramps across my ribcage that make me want to drop and curl into a fetal position. I've begun taking potassium supplements and I eat a half of bananna before or after a workout. But I still get them.
  • dhoddy
    dhoddy Posts: 35
    Options
    I suffered from those SO much when I was a teenager. Here's a couple tips:

-Drink PLENTY of water. So much that you're going to the bathroom constantly, and just make sure you pee before you run!
    -If it still happens, focus on your breathing. I know when I first started running I was gasping for breath constantly, which can cramp up your system (I sound so scientific right?). What I was taught was to inhale through the nose, and slowly exhale through the mouth. Or if you're stuffed up for whatever reaaon, just take big controlled breaths through you mouth.
    -Drink more water!
    -Stretch a little before you run, couldn't hurt.
    -Water!

Hope this helped!
  • godfreysm
    godfreysm Posts: 2
    Options
    Stitches are usually due to stretching and/or hydration. You can also get them from eating to heavily before a run. Try to hydrate more and not eat so close to running. That worked for me!