Turkish Get-up Help

Options
blonde71
blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
I've been trying to do a turkish get-up with my kettlebell for the longest time and just cannot properly execute the move. The closest I can get is a half turkish get-up but that's about it. For reference, I'm using a 25 lb. kettlebell. Any tips from someone who knows how to do this move on how to finally conquer it? Thanks.

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The way I do a Turkish Get-up (kettlebell in right hand):

I abduct left shoulder so that the arm is raised 45 degrees with the hand pronated (palm facing down) and flex knees at 90 degrees with heels on the ground. From this position, I raise the heels slightly off the ground then quickly use the strength in the abdominals to sit up at a 45 degree angle with the weight still directly overhead. At this point your knees should be flexed at 90 degrees with the feet flat on the ground. Next, I lean to my left, causing my left hip to abduct while maintaining knee flexion of 90 degrees. At this point your left hand should be supporting part of the weight, though most should be on your glutes and left knee should be touching the ground or just above it. Continue to lean the body in the direction of your left knee, and push off using the left hand while, again, maintaining the weight above. From here, you simply need to get on one knee (left) and proceed to standup while stabilizing the shoulder joint making sure the weight does not move too forward.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with turkish get-ups, too. Ironically, I can't seem to do them when the kettlebell is in my right hand (my stronger side) but I can when it's in my left. Riddle me that, Batman!
  • metzica
    metzica Posts: 24
    Options
    I'd say, drop the weight until you get the move down then increase the weight. Turkish Get ups are tough! Best of Luck!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I actually thought of dropping the weight but that seems like cheating in a way, lol. Back to the drawing board, I suppose. Thanks.