Stuck in a Rut! Tips on how to lose the last 10 lbs

Options
I'm stuck in a rut!! The scale has not moved in the past 3 weeks. I'm 10 lbs away from reaching my weight goal and it seems like it's never going to happen. I eat the suggested 1200 calories a day (I don't eat back what I burned in calories) and workout 4-5 times a week. I know muscle weighs more than fat but the scale has to move at some point- right? I would love to hear some tips on how you managed to lose those last 10 lbs of your weight loss journey.

Replies

• justjeanie2012
    Options
    I am interested in the replies to this as well! I'm about 11 lbs away. Everyone (even my dr.) told me that the closer you get to your 'ideal' weight, the harder it gets....but man the loss sure has slooooooooooooooooooooooowed down. Boo!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Mix up your metabolism. Do not fall for the 1200 calories dogma trap.

Go a few days eating 1400 or 1500 then go back down to 1200 - you wont gain weight I can promise. It will only do good for you.

For example - today eat back all of your work out calories
    The next day net around 1600
    The next day net around 1000
    The next day net around 1400
    The next day net around 1200

See where I am going with this > ?
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You should be eatin back your exercise calories, you should not NET less then 1200 that is the minimum. I did the 1200 thing and I lost but then I completely stalled I have upped my calories and seeing results.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First, think about whether your target goal is realistic. It's hard too lose weight if you're already at a good one. Only you know that.

Second, several studies have shown that people tend to plateau because they're cheating in a lot of small ways. Again, monitor yourself. Are you logging calories as carefully now as you did when you started?

Third, have you reset your calories for your new weight? 1200 is not a lot and if you're exercising and not eating it back, you may do better with a few more calories. In any case, make sure you get a new assessment and look at it to make your best judgment.

Fourth, it is HOT in most parts of the northern hemisphere right now and if you're eating even modest amounts of salt, you may be holding water. Lower your salt and lower your carbs to maybe 35-40% so that you have nice, even blood sugar levels and don't retain water (both bits of advice from the NYTimes science writer who authored Why We Get Fat). This also goes with hormone fluctuations, as salt exacerbates hormonally related water retention.

Fifth, just hold on. Lots of people will sit at a particular weight for a few weeks and then suddenly move.
  • FITHEALTHY1
    FITHEALTHY1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with xayekim. Don't get stuck in the 1200 calorie rut. Mix it up from day to day. Trick your metabolism. your body may have gotten used to what your are doing and is just maintaining your weight. Good luck!
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your workout regimine and mixing things up. Interval training..These are just suggestions tho I dont really know I am cearly very far from my ideal weight but nothing beats a failure but a try. I will try this when I get stuck as well.
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's been 9 weeks for me. Don't want to think I'm going to eat 1200 cals on maintenance. When I eat 100-200 more, the scale goes up. I can't 'lift' for physical reasons, but I've been walking more and toning up. The scale just doesn't MOVE.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/619367-for-those-of-us-with-only-10-30-pounds-to-lose
    Lots of folks in the same boat. Scroll through, you'll find some tips.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Add some strength training routines to your workouts if you do not already.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    A few things you should know:

1) I'm stuck in a 5 week plateau with 12 pounds to go...SO FRUSTRSTING! However, I am breast feeding a baby so my situation is a little different but I can completely relate!
    2) Find out your BMR and TDEE. Eat at a deficit of your TDEE and never go below your BMR.
    3) you are NOT EATING ENOUGH to fuel your body for the amount of exercising you are doing.
    4) muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 pound of muscle weighs the SAME as 1 pound of fat. Muscle is more dense and takes up less space, that's the difference between the two.
    5) check out the group eat more to weigh less on here. There is some great info that you should educate yourself with on plateau and fueling your body properly for your workouts!

Good luck!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    wow just in time. I was getting ready to ask the same question when I saw this thread :) Last 10 -13 lbs is KILLING ME!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Change your gym/workout programme.

I was on a plateau for 4 months. I got a PT in the gym and completely overhauled my programme. 3 weeks in and I'm down 4lbs and on the way to loosing more.