calling all runners....

Options
quick question for any runners out there... i recently started running on a more daily basis for longer periods of time, but im having some serious hip pain in my right hip. as long as im active it doesnt hurt as bad, but if i sit down for very long and try to get up, it shoots pain down my leg. any other runners expirience anything like this??

Replies

• beccalinda44
    Options
    Are you taking any recovery drinks? I had cramping and pains in the beginning and then I started taking Potassium and Gluteamin after my workout. Then they started going away.
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    no but ill def try that! thank u.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound good - the best thing to do would be to get yourself to a physiotherapist (or other health professional) who can identify what the issue is and give you good advice on what to do about it.

I've been running for about 18 months now and have had issues with my knee, hip and (just this week) my foot/ankle. The first time I was pretty reluctant to do anything about the knee problem and it hung around a whole lot longer than it needed to.
    I hope you'll be smarter than I was and get some good advice rather than rely on self diagnosis and well meaning people on the internet!
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you might need new running shoes. I know I really hurt myself earlier this year because I was running with the wrong shoes.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Were you fitted for shoes? How old are they? - I had his one pair of shoes that would give me knee pain and cramps in the backside. I got new shoes, and no problems anymore... Also, if you recently tripped over something or stumbled, it's possible there are slight damages to a ligament that need healing out before you get back to running...
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thank u guys. its weird to me bc it doesnt hurt in any other kind of cardio that i do. not elliptical, stairs, bike, not when i play basketball and there is running in that. its just when i do longer distance running. if it continues ill go to the dr. just didnt know if it was a common thing among runners. in regards to the shoes, i got some pretty great running shoes. very comfortable as well.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maybe IT band at the hip, but you'll need to ask an orthopedic doc.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try IT band stretching. You should feel a distinct stretch from the hip to the outside of the knee- you'll know when you hit the position just right.

illiotibial_band_stretch1.jpg
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    It could be your IT band, hip flexors, or from an anterior pelvic tilt that is causing your alignment to be off. It's always best to check with a dr. Are you doing any stretching? I have some great stretches for IT band and hip flexors.
  • hbrunn2
    hbrunn2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had been running for a while and started to experience horrible hip pain and i went to the doctor and it turned out to be trochanteric bursitis in both hips. I needed to take steroids to get rid of them.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    these same symptoms have been brought up a few times lately. You should search the forums. There are alot of topics here regarding this. It might help.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    google the images for pigeon pose and also this is a good site for stretches:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=1565

pigeon pose variation is oh so good!
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    quick question for any runners out there... i recently started running on a more daily basis for longer periods of time, but im having some serious hip pain in my right hip. as long as im active it doesnt hurt as bad, but if i sit down for very long and try to get up, it shoots pain down my leg. any other runners expirience anything like this??

I have not, but I have an issue with treadmills, if I use a treadmill for more than 15-20 minutes, I pull somekinda muscle in the inside of my thigh that shoots upwards towards my hip.

Only happens when I treadmill, I can jog for hours at the park and it never happens :|
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It could be your IT band, hip flexors, or from an anterior pelvic tilt that is causing your alignment to be off. It's always best to check with a dr. Are you doing any stretching? I have some great stretches for IT band and hip flexors.

FitnessBender, could you share these with me please? My IT band and hip flexors are tighter than tight and I sure could use some decent stretches.