Mexican Restaurants

Options
I really like Mexican food. I don't eat out a ton, since cooking at home lets me control my calories, but last night I had to go to get Mexican. In the past, I simply ate less the rest of the day to compensate, but yesterday the restaurant stop was unplanned and unexpected.

I got fajitas and only ate the meat (about 4 ounce) and the veggies (onions and peppers), one tortilla (as I had the rest of the meat and veggies without tortilla), 1/8 cup of guacamole, 2 TBSP of sour cream, and the pica de gallo. (Sorry about the spelling.)

When I entered it in MFP, it was over 800 calories!!! If I made the same thing at home, I could do it for about 600 calories. My portion of meat and veggies really couldn't have been reduced without me still being really hungry. I guess I skip the guac and sour cream altogether (boo)? What do you order to stay reasonable at Mexican restaurant? Is there really a better choice than fajitas?

Replies

• dhoddy
    dhoddy Posts: 35
    Options
    Honestly, I treat Chinese and Mexican restaurants as 'treats'. I go rarely, and when I do I make sure to work out that day and eat light for the rest of the day. And I know this is against the honor code of MFP, but I just forego trying to enter it all in to my diary. I already know I'm probably way over my calories, but I know if I just go back to eating right and exercising the next day, it won't have an effect in the long term!

I wouldn't stress too much if I were you :)
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We have an honor code? :noway:
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is one of my favorite cuisines, and honestly I don't think there's a truly healthy way to go to a mexican restaurant and enjoy it without majorly depriving yourself (at least, I haven't found one!). So, I look at it as a treat as well. One thing I do to try and cut down on the calories is when I get fajitas, I don't eat the sour cream or cheese with it and only use 1 or 2 of the tortillas given to me. But the chips and salsa always do me in before the food even gets to the table! And the margaritas....
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    And I know this is against the honor code of MFP, but I just forego trying to enter it all in to my diary. I already know I'm probably way over my calories, but I know if I just go back to eating right and exercising the next day, it won't have an effect in the long term!

This is what I do. I count the rest of my calories for that day and try to stay low + workout (not eat back those calories). And hope that I'm only a little over my daily goal.

I also believing in living life and not letting my weight control my life entirely. If I want to have a meal out, I do. I just make the wisest choices I can for myself at that time.
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here in Jersey we have a Mexican Resteraunt called Don Pablos. I like to order the Skinny Enchiladas. The plate comes with 3 skinny enchiladas. I skip the rice and beans though. Its not too much of a killer. If I remember correctly the enchiladas add up to just a tad over 500 cals.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I order a salad without the massive deep fried tortilla bowl, skip meat, add whole beans not refried, add fajita veggies, add some of the Mexican rice, some guacamole and use salsa as the dressing. You can even crumple up a few chips to give it added crunch.

I personally think you should log everything just to be aware of what you are putting in your body. Sometimes I would be pleasantly surprised in that I'll feel I ate "bad" and my guilt of what I ate was worse than the actual calories of the meal. The other thing is life happens, and if you are going to splurge at least enjoy it, but be aware.