Trigger Foods

Options
mamamc03
mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
Good Morning all my MFPeeps!!

I am in need of some constructive criticism. I am participating in a group challenge and I have to determine my trigger food. I can't figure it out...at this point...I think anything with a calorie is my trigger food. If you could creep my diary a bit and figure out what truly negative patterns I show...I would really appreciate it. Please remember that I am still learning...so derogatory comments are not necessary. I am truly trying to figure this all out. :) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    When you say trigger food - do you mean trigger foods that would start out in a binge-storm? Because anything that makes me salivate thinking about it (mainly chocolate and cakes) gets me going... good luck feel free to add and best of luck with your challenge!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Basically any "small" or "insignificant" portion sizes of sweets. Like 1 jelly bean... then its like "Oh, what's 1 more?" and before I know it... 50. lol
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Pasta is mine, I cant stop at one helping, and then I just want it again and again, I only get my pasta in portion controlled frozen meals for now, not good for you, I know, but it is working for me. And any carby sweets, like cake or pastries, so I don't buy them at all! It is easier not to buy than to have it around but not eat it.
  • charisma103
    Options
    Hi!

Just browsing through the last week of your diary I noticed a lot of your intake comes from snacks. I too have an issue with snacks and sugar and sometimes I'm over in these areas.

The donut holes and ice cream seem stand out the most. Carbs and sugar are a common trigger. I notice when I cut down on the processed sugar and eat more whole fruits it lessens my cravings for these items, plus they fill me up longer.

I can't keep cookies, granola bars, or cereal in my house as I will totally go to town on these items. One serving never seems like it's enough and sometimes I'll eat the whole box and them some!

We all fall at one time or another, just pick yourself up, and start with a new positive attitude!
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    Since I creep your diary most of the time anyway :)

What I've noticed is that on days that you have items with higher sodium (hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and the like...) that you tend to consume more calories that day. Not just in the high sodium item but in sweet snacks as well.

Also, bready items seem to be something as well. Donuts and things. Just a thought.

lol I'm kind of with you though. Food with calories that taste good seem to be my triggers.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    Hi!

Just browsing through the last week of your diary I noticed a lot of your intake comes from snacks. I too have an issue with snacks and sugar and sometimes I'm over in these areas.

The donut holes and ice cream seem stand out the most. Carbs and sugar are a common trigger. I notice when I cut down on the processed sugar and eat more whole fruits it lessens my cravings for these items, plus they fill me up longer.

I can't keep cookies, granola bars, or cereal in my house as I will totally go to town on these items. One serving never seems like it's enough and sometimes I'll eat the whole box and them some!

We all fall at one time or another, just pick yourself up, and start with a new positive attitude!

Really good observation and SOOOO true. I like my snacks...*sigh* I just had one. My thing is that I get soooo obsessively hungry (or think I need food) that I just grab whatever I can....which is why I keep/try to get healthier stuff nearby. (just ate a mini clif bar to tie me over to lunch). I dont think snacks should be an enemy...maybe I just need BETTER snacks. Hmm...
    Seriously..thank you charisma. This was obvious...but needed to be put into words from someone other than myself.
    But what KIND of snacks do you keep around??

Donut holes are NORMALLY just a Friday thing. Hot dogs are a RARE occurence. BUT I like hamburgers & fries. And you are right Jeli...I do eat more on those days.
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Might sound weird, but one of mine is cereal.... for some reason I just really love things that are "crunchy" and there are just SO MANY delicious flavors of cereal out there. I try not to keep the sugary, awful ones in the house but even Special K gets me going. I have to measure out my cup of cereal then stuff the box into the back of the pantry and walk away so I can avoid the temptation to go back for seconds... and thirds....
  • mamamc03
    Options
    Might sound weird, but one of mine is cereal.... for some reason I just really love things that are "crunchy" and there are just SO MANY delicious flavors of cereal out there. I try not to keep the sugary, awful ones in the house but even Special K gets me going. I have to measure out my cup of cereal then stuff the box into the back of the pantry and walk away so I can avoid the temptation to go back for seconds... and thirds....

OMg...it is NOT weird @ all. It is HARD to have just ONE bowl of cereal (especially if you measure it). I keep GOOD cereal too...but OH My Yumm, there's just something about it that goes boi-yoi-yoing gotta eat it.

Ok...I like carbs. I like cookies. I like cake. I like bread. I like tortillas. I like potatoes. I like pasta. Eekk.
    My name is Mamamc03 and I am addicted to carbs.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Hi..My name is Tammy and I too am addicted to Carbs!
    All pasta's and breads being my all time favorites. Even more so than any sweets. I could only dream of a day that a diet could exist similar to Atkins, however instead of no carbs ,it would be all bread and pasta and no meats. I would have no problem sticking to that one. Don't get me wrong, I like meat. Just not as much as I love my bread and pasta's. So I definitely feel your pain.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Looking at your diary, and as others have mentioned, you have snacks and treats in there alot.. ( I looked at the weekend,cause weekends most of us are bumming around).
    Your triggers are definitely those items, and I think they are most of ours.. I can't even buy bags of chips at the store cause I know whats going to happen.. I will eat half a bag in a day.. favorite candy.. gone.. done.. My biggest defense is not even buy it. Thats what I would suggest doing, dont even bother buying that stuff.. Anything with Hostess in it, skip, snack mixes/chips nope, any of the nut families your eating, get the healthier ones (no honey roasted, plain peanuts.. almonds pistachios etc), ice cream and cookies.. nope not even the fat free ones..
    And ya you get a lot of carbs, you may want to have that as one of your trackers so you can see how much your taking in, it might surprise you... more filling foods and proteins will help you stay full longer and help avoid all the snacking..
  • JSButter
    JSButter Posts: 1
    Options
    my trigger foods are breads,cereal,pizza, chips, and anything with red sauce or barbaque. if i eat a piece of toast, pancake or any high carb food without a protein, i will eat out of control for the rest of the day. i usually feel like i have to continuesly eat to be able to function. i find myself wanting to eat every hour in a half. i am better myself to eat a high protein breakfast, i also have to eat within the first hour im awake. im not much of a sweet eater but give me a baked potato with salt, butter and sourcream and i will go to town! i started this fitness pal a few days ago to see where i was at in caleries a day then to learn that i was taking in OVER 3 thousand caleries a day! Wow! I know for the most part what to eat that is healthy but it is so hard to control the cravings and the foods that are convienient to eat real quick,life gets busy, im a mother of five and after working at a daycare and come home to mine plus my baby neise that i care for, its so easy to say lets throw in a pizza! funny thing is is thats after i already stuffed my face with whatever i could get my hands on! my mind tells me to workout, but my body tells me to rest. i really need to get my health in check.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    Thanks guys!! you have REALLY opened my eyes to something I had not TRULY seen before. Thank you. I plan on overhauling my intake...check out yesterday's diary for proof. I am going to change my snacks...because I think I have my meals pretty much in check...yeah, I screw up sometimes...but...I think I need a calorie makeover. ;)