problems getting pregnant

Options
Just curious if anyone has had any trouble getting pregnant while monitoring calories?

My husband and I have been "trying" for almost a year with no success. I've always been very concious/overly concious of what I eat and typically stick around 1200-1500 cals.

Is it possible that "dieting" could be hindering me? :grumble:

Replies

• opatt23
    opatt23 Posts: 90
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has had any trouble getting pregnant while monitoring calories?

My husband and I have been "trying" for almost a year with no success. I've always been very concious/overly concious of what I eat and typically stick around 1200-1500 cals.

• FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have not YET encountered this problem but a too low caloric intake may be at fault. I would go to a naturalist(I am NOT a fan of conventional medicine unless its absolutely life or death important) to see if your body ios working normally...worth a shot
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    when me and my ex were tryin to get pregs i was "dieting" and working out like crazy.. I think it might have had something to do with it.. once i stopped seem like one night was all it needed... lol also not to get personal but do you know when you are about to drop ya egg? you need to umm "get busy" around those times... i'd say a week or two before your period even if you don't want to be touched...

but again I don't know if it is the low calories or the working out.. plus talk to your gyni about it.. ask him/her what they think..
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is an answer for you but I have been trying for a long time and I finally found out that I am insulin resistant and have polycyctic ovary syndrom. It causes your body to produce more insulin than it should and causes your body to not want to reproduce. They told me to eat A high Protein and low carb diet.. NOT ATKINS but heatlhy whole grains about 100 cal each serving. This is just a suggestion.. GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Your profile says you have only 5lbs to lose....IMO (and I taught childbirth ed for 5 yrs).....stop counting calories eat consciously, don't think about the 5lbs and have a lot of sex! :happy: :bigsmile:
    After my first child when we tried for our second it took a long 3 years until I let everything go.....and just had sex! woala,,,,pregnant!!

zen:flowerforyou:
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been there myself, my cycle even stopped for 6 months. My Dr. told me to up my calories and slow down a bit on the work-outs. We are still trying, I guess you just need to relax a bit, eat a little more, and let nature run it's course, maybe through in some extra wine and mood music too :laugh: Zenmama's advice is perfect! Good luck.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    A lot of women have trouble getting pregnant if they have low iron levels. Have you had yours tested? Usually remedied by taking an iron supplement such as Geritol. Sounds crazy, but I know lots of women who have done this and gotten pregnant soon after. Good luck. It'll happen when the time is right. :smile:
  • opatt23
    Options
    I know I know....:blushing: You're all right. Thanks for the advice...

:heart:
  • opatt23
    Options
    A lot of women have trouble getting pregnant if they have low iron levels. Have you had yours tested? Usually remedied by taking an iron supplement such as Geritol. Sounds crazy, but I know lots of women who have done this and gotten pregnant soon after. Good luck. It'll happen when the time is right. :smile:

Geritol? Is that over the counter?
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Yes, it's in the vitamin supplement section. Their website says that they make no claims that their product will increase fertility and its not magic, but it will help you iron levels. :smile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I was very anemic and thin when I got pregnant (boy how things change LOL) so I'm not sure if that would be the cause.....I think that anorexics usually have problems because periods stop, etc

Have you ever tried www.mycycle.com? It's helpful to know when you are ovulating, etc. I use it to NOT get pregnant lol
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have only 5lbs to lose....IMO (and I taught childbirth ed for 5 yrs).....stop counting calories eat consciously, don't think about the 5lbs and have a lot of sex! :happy: :bigsmile:
    After my first child when we tried for our second it took a long 3 years until I let everything go.....and just had sex! woala,,,,pregnant!!

zen:flowerforyou:

LMBO get out of my head....guilty as charged! lol...I remember dh saying I never thought I'd say this but really now? me ...YES NOW! get to it! lmbo....ya you gotta just go and try to be stress free that helps A LOT!:wink:
    hugs!
    Ali
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me get pregnant was not wanting to get pregnant. :smile:

As soon as you don't really want a baby, there it will be!!!

The most important thing to do if you're trying to get pregnant is make sure you're on prenatal vitamins and a DHA supplement. That way, when it does happen, your body will be all ready for it. I would say just have a lot of sex and don't be too scientific about it. When it's meant to happen, it'll happen.

Have fun!