Water weight gain?

Options
Ugghh. I weighed myself this morning after sunday's morning weigh in (yea I know that I shouldn't do this, but was just curious.) I am up 4 pds and I know it is water weight. How do you get rid of this? Drink more water than I usually do?

Replies

• StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you are holding water?

Did you do a particularly hard work out (stiff)?

Are you trying to fight off a bug?

I can relate, I have a hard hard work out that left me stiff and sore for 4 days, AND a cold./virus, and have gained 5lbs of water and held onto it for 5 days now. I am anticipating that when I am recovered, the water weight will go away (man, I hope!! lol).
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    I was talking to a friend the other day about weight loss and she recently shed a good amount of weight and said she went to her nutritionist a few months ago who gave her some kind of pill or something that helped her shed water weight and not retain it to the grand scope she was....also thanks to eating a ton of salt, that was her main problem. I'm in the exact same boat but can't remember the name of it, has anyone heard of such a thing?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you see you are eating a ton of salt, why not... I dunno... stop eating so much salt?
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    I weight myself/measure inches regularly. I did a huge and challenging hike two days ago.

Before hike: 174lbs
    After hike: 164lbs
    Morning after (drank LOADS OF WATER): up to 177lbs.

Has taken me two days to get back to normal. Turns out after a workout our muscles retain water to flush our toxins so the more you drink the faster the toxins are flushed and the faster the water weight goes. That "time of the month" can add a pound or two also. I recommend measuring your neck, arms, bust, waist, hips and thighs regularly to get an even more accurate result. Muscle weighs more than fat so sometimes we won't lose weight but we're losing inches. Best of luck and GJ so far ;)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Salt and starchy carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) contribute to retaining water. So does creatine, if you're taking that.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time. If you weigh yourself frequently, you'll probably notice lots of little ups and downs. You can influence your level of water retention somewhat, but for the most part, just don't stress about it. Consuming more water and less sodium can lower your water retention, as well as taking a break from exercise (I'm not recommending that, just pointing out that exercise causes your body to retain more water for recovery).