Eating less calories as you lose?

Options
ndbex
ndbex Posts: 61 Member
I stumbled onto this website the other day. You can put in your stats and goal and it tells you how many calories to eat each week. At a higher weight, you eat a higher number and it slowly goes down on the number of calories each week. What do you all think of this? It makes more sense to me, being someone who hasn't dieted since before I got pregnant. I think this might be less stress on my body while I up the exercise and modify my eating habits. Thoughts?

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

Replies

• vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    How does the site differ to the one to which you are posting?

It isn't and this site is actually more advanced in delivering stats.

As for your last part, your stored fat is the energy that you will burn whilst exercising and the calorie controlled part of your diet will ensure that your essential nutrients are catered for as long as you are eating protien and saturated fats and getting pulses, veg and salad greens. No stress just weight loss.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    MVP recommends eating less as you lose as well, but you have to manually update your weight in your diet profile (not just on your weight-in) for it to change your recommendations. I do wish that was linked so it was automatic.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's true to an extent, but when your body starts to level out to where it's supposed to be, you need to eat more to maintain. Obviously someone who's 300 pounds needs to eat more than someone who's 100 pounds, but i'm eating more now than I was when I started MFP now that i'm at a healthy weight..
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i tried it out. i put in my information and it told me that in 4 weeks i'd have to eat 410 calories a day. obviously something is not correct with that calculator? or maybe i did it wrong?
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically decreases your daily cals after each 10 lbs lost.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that if you are looking at lean body mass.
    The more muscle you have youll need more calories.

If you are shrinking and arent concerned with losing lean mass then yes, youll drop calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...if I put in for a 2lb drop per week it has me 300-400 cals below BMR.

Not healthy IMO.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically decreases your daily cals after each 10 lbs lost.

But I understand if you enter your weight loss in increments, it doesn't update you. You should do it manually in your profile just to be sure.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Hmmm...if I put in for a 2lb drop per week it has me 300-400 cals below BMR.

Not healthy IMO.

I thought the default was approximately 500 calories below BMR for one pound a week. That's what mine set at. I understand it does not go below 1200 calories for anyone.

(I'm too tall to ever get that, I think.)
  • nxd10
    Options
    i tried it out. i put in my information and it told me that in 4 weeks i'd have to eat 410 calories a day. obviously something is not correct with that calculator? or maybe i did it wrong?

This doesn't make sense. I've never seen anything like that on this site. What did you do and what did you enter?
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow - I need to eat 700 calories to lose a pound in a week! No wonder I haven't been losing ;P
  • ndbex
    Options
    Check the drop down boxes to enter in KM or LBS. If it's waaaaaay off, then you put it in metric (or lbs.) Depends if you use the USA or metric system.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I stumbled onto this website the other day. You can put in your stats and goal and it tells you how many calories to eat each week. At a higher weight, you eat a higher number and it slowly goes down on the number of calories each week. What do you all think of this? It makes more sense to me, being someone who hasn't dieted since before I got pregnant. I think this might be less stress on my body while I up the exercise and modify my eating habits. Thoughts?

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

That site is a bit odd - I put in that I wanted to lose 10lb in a week, and it told me to eat -2000 calories.
  • GroovyGirl69
    GroovyGirl69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I entered my info as well and it gave me crazy numbers...then I realized I needed to change the measurements from kg's to lbs.
    I think it defaults to kilos for the weight and centimeters for your height. Change the type of measurement to lbs and inches.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's true to an extent, but when your body starts to level out to where it's supposed to be, you need to eat more to maintain. Obviously someone who's 300 pounds needs to eat more than someone who's 100 pounds, but i'm eating more now than I was when I started MFP now that i'm at a healthy weight..

Yes, agreed. I was talking about deficit eating. Your deficit will change and whether your maintenance calories are more or less than your initial calories will depend on where you started and where you finished.
  • ndbex
    Options
    I didn't know MFP adjusted it for you. This site adjusts for each week. MFP, from what you all are saying, adjusts with each ten pound loss. So not exactly the same.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That site is a bit odd - I put in that I wanted to lose 10lb in a week, and it told me to eat -2000 calories.

Sounds about right. Eat nothing for a week and exercise 300 calories a day ;-)

Garbage in, Garbage out.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This doesn't make sense. I've never seen anything like that on this site. What did you do and what did you enter?

Not on MFP, I got that answer using the link the OP posted. sorry if that was confusing.